Test System Setup
In testing the performance of Thunderbolt storage solutions, we utilize the Apple MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 model, which as of this article is running OS X 10.9.1. Full system specifications are available above. To create RAID volumes in OS X I use Apple Disk Utility with 64K stripe size.
In addition to this, we use a Windows test system seen above for Thunderbolt appliances that support. Benchmarks used in Windows include IOMeter 1.1; all volumes use a 128K-stripe size and are tested without a file system.
AJA System Test
Check the performance of any drive on your system to ensure it is tuned for the performance you need.
Areca Web Management
Starting out with the web management GUI, we look at the system information tab. Here we can see the firmware information along with more detailed information about the RoC.
Next up we look at our RAID set hierarchy.
The hardware monitor tab, gives information about the temperatures inside the unit.
The ARC-8050T2 supports SNMP where you can setup then monitor your RAID tower remotely.
Next up we look at the Ethernet configuration, here you can setup the 8050T2 for remote access.
In the next menu, we have the RAID stagger power control.
The advanced configuration menu allows you to change TLER, along with optimize the Areca for streaming.
System configuration allows simpler setup options such as SATA NCQ and Disk Write Cache mode.
Here we have a mixed drive set in the Areca unit. Within the RAID set menu, you can create multiple arrays to suite your needs.
Here we have setup a 12TB RAID 6 array. Within this menu, you can setup multiple volume for each RAID set.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing, Availability and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Areca ARC-8050T2 Thunderbolt 2]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Web Management]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4K Random and 128K Sequential Workloads]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Latency and Mixed Workloads]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AJA System Test]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PUBG devs may be squeezed out of Battle Royale market
- Windows Store being re-branded as Microsoft Store
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM