Test System Setup
In testing the performance of Thunderbolt storage solutions, we utilize the Apple MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 model, which as of this article is running OS X 10.9.1. Full system specifications are available above. To create RAID volumes in OS X I use Apple Disk Utility with 64K stripe size.
In addition to this, we use a Windows test system seen above for Thunderbolt appliances that support. Benchmarks used in Windows include IOMeter 1.1; all volumes use a 128K-stripe size and are tested without a file system.
AJA System Test
Check the performance of any drive on your system to ensure it is tuned for the performance you need.
Areca Web Management
Starting out with the web management GUI, we look at the system information tab. Here we can see the firmware information along with more detailed information about the RoC.
Next up we look at our RAID set hierarchy.
The hardware monitor tab, gives information about the temperatures inside the unit.
The ARC-8050T2 supports SNMP where you can setup then monitor your RAID tower remotely.
Next up we look at the Ethernet configuration, here you can setup the 8050T2 for remote access.
In the next menu, we have the RAID stagger power control.
The advanced configuration menu allows you to change TLER, along with optimize the Areca for streaming.
System configuration allows simpler setup options such as SATA NCQ and Disk Write Cache mode.
Here we have a mixed drive set in the Areca unit. Within the RAID set menu, you can create multiple arrays to suite your needs.
Here we have setup a 12TB RAID 6 array. Within this menu, you can setup multiple volume for each RAID set.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing, Availability and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Areca ARC-8050T2 Thunderbolt 2]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Web Management]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4K Random and 128K Sequential Workloads]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Latency and Mixed Workloads]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AJA System Test]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Offensive language in Rainbow Six Siege now gives insta-ban
- Nintendo teases future updates for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- MoonQuest comes to Steam Early Access 7 years later
- Nintendo Switch soon to feature 1000+ games, all regions
- Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1/2 screenshots & Rookie mode
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit