Sony Has Nailed the Design: The sandwich feel and look of the Xperia Z2 is something that takes getting used to, especially when coming from a curvier handset, but when you do, you'll fall in love with it. I came to really appreciate the design of the Xperia Z2, so much so that I think it's one of the best looking smartphones on the market.
The Camera Is Truly Amazing: I took the Xperia Z2 over to Taiwan with me for Computex, where I used it more than I thought it would thanks to its awesome camera. The 20.7-megapixel camera has a bunch of features built-in that makes snapping photos simple, with amazing results.
It's Blazingly Fast: Anything with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 801 processor and 3GB of RAM is going to be fast, with Sony baking these specs into the Xperia Z2 way before LG decided on them for the QHD-based G3 smartphone.
It's Fully Waterproof: None of this 'water-resistant' crap, the Xperia Z2 is actually waterproof. You can see in our video above that it can be dunked in water, or splashed over and over again in the shower. I actually used the Xperia Z2 to listen to music in the shower, with water splashing all over it.
Sony's Improved UI: Sony has been slowly improving their UI, so it doesn't feel as bloated as its competitors' interfaces. I find Sony's changed interface quite nice, and while I would always strive for stock Android, Sony hasn't done too much to the UI to shift it from the overall look of Android.
It Doesn't Do My Laundry: That's about all I didn't like. The Xperia Z2 is a beautiful smartphone worthy of your money.
Waterproof Flap For Charging Is Annoying: I love that the Z2 is completely waterproof, but having to pull back the flap to plug in my microUSB cable to charge it every day got annoying, quickly.
Using the Sony Xperia Z2 has shown me that Sony is in a class of its own with Android-powered smartphones. Sure, everyone has a different opinion on what is great out there, but with so many overwhelmingly positive reviews on the two best-selling smartphones on the market - Samsung's Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S - there is plenty of room for another champion.
Sony not only steps up to the podium with the Z2, but it pushes the Galaxy S5 and iPhone 5S to the side, making them stumble just that little bit. Sure, Sony won't hit the same sales numbers as Samsung and Apple, but it doesn't need to. Sony is making money with its various other divisions, including the incredibly powerful PlayStation brand.
If you're after a new Android-powered smartphone, you owe it to yourself to check out the Xperia Z2. I can nearly promise you that you won't walk away disappointed. It has excellent battery life, a gorgeous screen, a truly beautiful design, and some internal hardware that will keep you going for the entire day, without breaking a sweat. That's all without taking into consideration the kick-ass 20.7-megapixel 4K-capable rear-facing camera.
Sony has crafted itself an amazing handset that deserves to be fighting against the Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, LG's G3 and HTC's One M8.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Western Digital Samples 1.33Tb QLC Die Flash
- Capcom add 'Torch Man' to the Mega Man 11 boss roster
- Kirby Star Allies: Daroach, Dark Meta Knight & more details
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit