Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading
The Lenovo ThinkPad W540 mobile workstation has several IO ports on the unit for IO needs. Let's take a look at what options we have available to us.
Here we are looking at the right side of the Lenovo ThinkPad W540.
On the left, we have a DVD drive-sorry, no Blu-ray drive here for movies. The access port just above that is empty on our unit. Just to the right of the DVD drive are USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 connections. The little port near the rear of the workstation is a Kensington Lock.
Now looking at the left side, we find a large cooling vent followed by a Thunderbolt port, VGA output, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, card reader, ExpressCard/34, and a combined stereo jack.
At the rear of the Lenovo ThinkPad W540, on the left, there is an RJ45 LAN port then the battery. Following that, we have the AC power connection and another cooling vent.
Looking at the bottom of the W540, we find two large access covers and several vents. There are four rubber feet for the W540 to rest on, providing a non-slip surface to keep the laptop from sliding around on your desk.
The shape of the rear of the battery is contoured to the W540 outside. A round bulge matches the W540 and allows for a gripping surface for when you need to install or replace the battery. The battery just slides right in and locks. Just behind the battery are two unlocking levers that, when pulled left and right, unlock the battery for removal.
Here we have removed the top left access cover to peek at the insides. We can see the laptop's motherboard battery and Intel's Wireless-N 7260 WLAN module.
Removing the large access cover, we find the SSD drive and RAM slots. Two RAM bays have two RAM slots in each. Our unit had only one 8GB stick of RAM installed; this leaves the unit upgradeable to four 8GB sticks for a max RAM load out of 32GB.
The SSD installed in this unit is a Samsung MZ7TE256HMHP-000 SATA drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will release next month
- Hasselblad's new camera snaps 400-megapixel photos
- Crytek starts sign-ups for Hunt: Showdown closed Alpha
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series