Throughout testing, the WD Red Pro shined, and as I was putting the charts together for this review, I began to get a grin on my face as the columns shot up and the performance of the Red Pro topped everything previously tested. In sequential testing, the drive was right at 180 MB/s no matter what benchmark I used, and random read and write performance hovered around 450 IOPS.
Mixed workloads were a breeze for the Red Pro as it chewed those up as if it was out for a Sunday spin. Over on the power side of things, the WD Red Pro did use a bit more power than other solutions, especially since NAS catered solutions typically use ~5900 RPM spindle speeds.
For comparison, we threw the HGST NAS 4TB in the charts, since that is the only other purpose-built solution to use a 7200 RPM spindle speed. As you could see in our charts, the WD Red Pro used 0.2 watts more in random writes than the HGST NAS, despite producing 60 more IOPS at QD32.
Looking at workload power consumption with email server, the WD Red Pro manages to use less power than the HGST NAS, while still producing more IOPS.
The WD Red Pro is the second part of the one two punch for Western Digital in recent days. Where the 6TB Red ushered in tremendous storage capacity in a purpose-built solution, the Red Pro is the end all, be all of performance in NAS appliances.
PRICING: You can find the Western Digital Red Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Western Digital Red Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive retails for $259.99 at Amazon.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Starfield could be the star of Bethesda's E3 2019
- Information that your Internet Service Provider stores
- Latest Red Dead Redemption 2 patch downscales PS4 graphics
- System Shock 3 devs leave Starbreeze, game is 'halfway' done
- Valve release Dota 2 betting app feature 'Dota Plus'
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- here at personate in a apologetic irregardless by recognition
- foreign wish over wit at diggings in the incite
- Project Downfall - a retro-style, cyberpunk, reflex-based shooter now available on Early Access & coming to Xbox One & Switch. Preview copies await!
- Adventure Is Around Every Corner In One Piece World Seeker
- Ancestors Legacy is now available on GOG with Cross-play integration
- Buckle Up, Buttercup: Skybound And NMC Studios' Vehicular Battle Royale Game notmycar hits Steam Early Access April 5th
- Haggle Your Way to Riches in Bargain Hunter for Nintendo Switch