The Crucial MX100 256GB isn't going to win any awards based on performance alone, but this drive brings more to the table than just raw speed. Compared to a mechanical disk drive, the MX100 is significantly faster and for its target market, that's what is important, as well as the price. The 256GB model we tested today costs just $109.99, a reasonable amount for this level of performance.
I chose the image above of a statement I found on Crucial's website. There are several low-cost SSDs on the market now, and the $90 to $120 price point for 256GB drives is starting to fill with products. Over the last six months, we've noticed a few 'issues' that we really don't like and we certainly don't endorse.
One thing we like about Crucial is the fact that the company doesn't need to play loose with the build of materials. The drive you purchase is the same drive we tested here today, period. Over time, Crucial will update the firmware to increase performance and fix any corner case issues, but for the most part, when you buy a MX100, you will get a Marvell controller paired with Micron 16nm ONFi NAND flash.
Before the drive hit the market and before any firmware changes become available, the drives are thoroughly tested. As profit margins shrink for SSDs, some companies may choose to do anything they can to stay competitive in this market. Crucial is one of the few companies that will not bend on principal, and you can trust the quality of the components they use.
For what it is, the Crucial MX100 is a very good SSD. It's not the best performing low-cost SSD on the market, but it's one of the few solid products that we can endorse because of the high quality. Propping up the MX100 is a long list of advanced features and a decent three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the Crucial MX100 256GB SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Crucial MX100 256GB SSD retails for $109.99 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit