Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
The HIS R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 Turbo 4GB carries with it a premium, as you'd expect, that puts us at the mid-$500 price bracket. This is pretty much in the middle of the pack when it comes to the overall pricing, and some cards are coming in at the mid- to high-$400 region, and others are going into the mid-$600 range. We even see models with water blocks fetching over $700.
At the mid-$500 range, the overall value is very good on the card thanks to the strong overclock from HIS. While most companies choose to just focus on the core clock, the fact that HIS has chosen to also bump up the memory clock by a good 400MHz QDR makes the card stand out for all of the right reasons.
The strong overclock with the improved power delivery system and the bigger dual 8-Pin PCIe power connector setup means that we're also dealing with a custom R9 290X 4GB, which again adds even more value to the card. These improvements mean that overclocking is even stronger than a reference card, and looking at our performance today, you can see that is true.
When it comes to the bundle, you can see it's pretty much on the light side of things, which is pretty standard these days. Outside of the video card, most people don't need much to get up and running. Like most companies, HIS lets the actual product do all of the talking.
Moving onto performance, the card is strong. The power setup HIS is offering clearly works as the overclock is really strong. We achieved a nice core and memory clock here today. While we didn't test the out of the box performance, we know from experience that the card will perform strongly. The decision to overclock both the core and memory is nice and will help yield slightly more performance over cards from companies that choose just to bump up the core clock.
The cooler on the card is strong, and the dual fan setup and massive heat sink that sits behind it is excellent. This isn't news to us, though, as we've used the IceQ X2 cooler before and have always been very impressed with it. It clearly does a good job as we managed to achieve a strong overclock with no issue.
Overall, HIS has a really nice R9 290X 4GB on offer here. If you're looking for something outside of the reference card, this is a great option. Again, the fact that they have chosen to overclock both the core and memory means that it stands out against the competition. If you're looking at spending this kind of money, the HIS R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 Turbo 4GB is a fantastic option.
PRICING: You can find the HIS R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 Turbo 4GB for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The HIS R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 Turbo 4GB retails for $609.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840x2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Working at Treyarch is a 'nightmare' thanks to brutal crunch
- Tariffs to raise console prices, disrupt entire industry
- Rick & Morty season 4 episode premier at Adult Swim Festival
- Zelda Link's Awakening new cameo Ocarina of Time footage
- Popular gaming YouTuber Etika found dead in Manhattan River
- Synology DS419 Slim Four-Bay NAS Review
- P8P67 Deluxe Problem
- Silverstone Primera SST-PM02B-G Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- X399 AORUS Extreme - Threadripper 2990wx; memory issues
- TPLink Archer A6 Wireless Router Review
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to Acquire Canadair Regional Jet Program from Bombardier Inc.
- LG To Expand Partnership With QT On Next Generation Embedded Devices Running Webos
- Next-Gen Battle Royale Ring of Elysium Officially Launches on Steam
- Versus Evil Steam Summer Sale
- TRENDnet Adds ERPS to Industrial Managed Network Switches