Test System Setup and Overclocking
We have a bunch of boards in our graphs here today, but like we mentioned in our ASRock Z97X Killer review, most of them are tested using our older i7-4770K. Over the coming weeks, we'll be swapping out the boards that use that processor with new ones that will be using our i7-4790K. With that said, sitting alongside our GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING G1 WIFI-BK Black Edition, we have the ASRock Z97X Killer using the i7-4790K.
Alongside those two boards, we also have the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1, MSI Z97 GAMING 9 AC, GIGABYTE Z97X UD5-H, and ASRock Z87 Killer, all making use of the older i7-4770K. Before we get into the performance side of things, we have to cover what's going on with overclocking.
The last time we tested our i7-4790K, our performance maxed out at just 4.7GHz via a 47x multiplier. This time around, we headed into the BIOS and moved to a 48x multiplier to see if we could have luck with our CPU running at 100MHz higher, coming in at 4.8GHz.
Unfortunately, we didn't have much luck at that speed. While we got into Windows, stability was a serious issue. When we moved down to the 47x multiplier, we ran into no problems. With that working fine, I figured we'd go into the BIOS just one more time to see if we could do anything with the BCLK. In the end, you can see we pushed our BCLK up to 101, which resulted in our final CPU clock coming in at 4746MHz, or 4.75GHz as shown in our graphs here today.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SK Hynix announces GDDR6, offers up to 14Gbps of bandwidth
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- NVIDIA's next-gen TITAN X should rock 16GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps
- SuperData Analyst Interview on Call of Duty: WWII Success
- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series