Test System Setup and Overclocking
We have a bunch of boards in our graphs here today, but like we mentioned in our ASRock Z97X Killer review, most of them are tested using our older i7-4770K. Over the coming weeks, we'll be swapping out the boards that use that processor with new ones that will be using our i7-4790K. With that said, sitting alongside our GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING G1 WIFI-BK Black Edition, we have the ASRock Z97X Killer using the i7-4790K.
Alongside those two boards, we also have the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1, MSI Z97 GAMING 9 AC, GIGABYTE Z97X UD5-H, and ASRock Z87 Killer, all making use of the older i7-4770K. Before we get into the performance side of things, we have to cover what's going on with overclocking.
The last time we tested our i7-4790K, our performance maxed out at just 4.7GHz via a 47x multiplier. This time around, we headed into the BIOS and moved to a 48x multiplier to see if we could have luck with our CPU running at 100MHz higher, coming in at 4.8GHz.
Unfortunately, we didn't have much luck at that speed. While we got into Windows, stability was a serious issue. When we moved down to the 47x multiplier, we ran into no problems. With that working fine, I figured we'd go into the BIOS just one more time to see if we could do anything with the BCLK. In the end, you can see we pushed our BCLK up to 101, which resulted in our final CPU clock coming in at 4746MHz, or 4.75GHz as shown in our graphs here today.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gearbox hiring writer for Borderlands 3
- Take-Two: Microtransactions help buffer risk of new IP
- UK official responds to lootbox petition
- Rocket League hosts Halloween event 'Haunted Hallows'
- Team Liquid wins SL i-League Invitational Season 3
- EK Fluid Gaming: Water-Cooled Gaming PC Build Guide
- Thecus® N2350 & N4350 the most affordable Home NAS series now available worldwide
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce GTX 1080 Vulcan X OC Review
- South Park: The Fractured But Hole Review
- NVIDIA locks overclocking in GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz