Close up with the ASUS GTX 780 6GB STRIX OC
Taking a look at the card, you can see the very sleek black shroud sitting on a black PCB. You can see the dual fan setup sits on top of a massive heat sink with a number of heat pipes coming out from above the core. The DirectCU II cooler with 0dB Fan Technology works by letting the fans not spin when the card is idle. While that's nothing special, the big highlight is the fact that under situations when load isn't too extreme, the fans also don't spin.
Under games like League of Legends and StarCraft 2, where our core is kept at or below 65C, the fans will continue to not spin, helping the card to remain silent. It isn't until after it passes that temperature number that the fans begin to spin. We're hoping, though, that when it finally does spin that it doesn't create too much noise.
Moving away from the heat sink and taking the time to move around the card, you can see that power comes in the form of two connectors: one 6-Pin PCIe power connector along with an 8-Pin PCIe connector. Staying at the top of the card and moving closer to the front, you can see our standard SLI connectors in the event you want to run more than one of these bad boys together.
Finishing our look at the card, we have the I/O side of things that sees two Dual-Link DVI connectors in the form of a DVI-D and DVI-I. Along with that, we've also got the standard HDMI and DisplayPort connectors to round the connectivity side of things off. Looking above, you can also see that ASUS has included some vents that let some of the hot air escape out the back of the case.
As the name suggests, ASUS has overclocked this particular model out of the box. This surprises us slightly as we thought that, due to the attempt at silence, they would choose to leave the card at the reference clocks. Instead, they've thrown caution to the wind and shown how much faith they have in the quality of their DirectCU II cooler.
Out of the box, a reference GTX 780 3GB will bring with it a core clock of 863MHz that is then boosted to 900MHz. As for the 3GB of GDDR5, that comes in at 6008MHz QDR. ASUS has chosen to bump the base clock of the GTX 780 STRIX OC to 889MHz that is then boosted to 941MHz. While they have chosen to leave the memory clock alone at 6008MHz QDR, they have chosen to double the amount, bringing 6GB of GDDR5 memory to the table.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks – Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks – F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks – Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks – BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks – 4K – 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 14 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 15 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 16 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo to miss 20 million Switch sales, analysts predict
- Decidueye was considered for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- If Anthem's cosmetics fail, paid expansions are likely
- The Divison 2 story sets U.S. capital aflame with chaos
- Lords of the Fallen devs open indie publishing label
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019