Close up with the HIS R9 290 4GB IceQ X2 Turbo
Taking the card out of the box and looking at it for the first time, you can see the sleek gold shroud that HIS has used on this card. The overall design isn't new to us, but the new color scheme is. We must admit that we would have loved to see a black PCB sitting behind the gold shroud.
Behind the two fans that sit in the middle, though, you can see a massive heat sink that covers the entire card along with the five-heat pipe setup that looks serious. The IceQ line of coolers has always served us well in the past, and hopefully it's the same here today with the latest version.
Taking a look around the card, you can see just how much the heat sink hangs over the back. As for the power side of things, you can see that HIS has opted to upgrade the power setup by providing two 8-Pin PCIe power connectors instead of a single one alongside a single 6-Pin PCIe connector.
Heading to the front of the card, you can see that not much is going on. Being an R9 290 series card means that no CrossFire connector is included. Instead, we just have a simple BIOS switch here that lets you switch between two modes.
Finishing up our look at the I/O side of things, you can see we've got two Dual Link DVI-D ports along with a single HDMI and DisplayPort to round things off. You can see we've also got some vents here to let the hot air escape out the back of your PC.
Being part of the Turbo series means that the card is overclocked out of the box. The stock clocks of an R9 290 4GB come in at 947MHz on the core and 5000MHz QDR on the 4GB of GDDR5.
As for the HIS offering today, they've decided to leave the 4GB of GDDR5 alone but have bumped the core slightly by 20MHz bringing it to 967MHz.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks – Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks – F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks – Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks – BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks – 4K – 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 14 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 15 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 16 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass isn't open world, still HUGE
- RX Vega 56 with 120W TDP inside Acer's new gaming notebook
- PUBG: 50 million copies sold, 400 million players
- Vega 20 teased in AotS benchmark, AMD's new 7nm GPU tested
- Fallout 76 beta comes first to Xbox One
- DDR4-3400 - Ryzen 7 1800x & Ryzen 7 2700x - X370 & X470
- LaCie DJI Co-Pilot 2TB Review
- Dumb question regarding moderator approval
- ASUS ProArt PA27AC Monitor: The Best Workstation Monitor?!
- Asus X401A Laptop will not boot despite several replaced components
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit