Close up with the ASUS Z97I PLUS
Taking a look at the board, you can see just about everything in clear detail due to the small size of it. While small, we do have a fair bit going on with the black on black motherboard, which does indeed look quite nice with the simple ASUS heat sink being seen down the bottom. Let's move in a bit closer and see just what exactly we're dealing with here today.
Like all Mini-ITX boards, we find ourselves with just a single PCIe expansion slot. This is a PCIe x16 slot that you'll want for the high-end video card you'll hopefully be installing. Above that slot, we have our heat sink, and to the left, you can see our Wi-Fi card supporting 802.11a/b/g/n/ac.
Turning the corner, you can see we've got two DDR3 DIMM slots supporting up to 16GB of DDR3, ranging in speed from 1333MHz to 3200MHz via overclocking. Below that, you can see we have our main 24-Pin ATX power connector, front panel header connector and, on the far left, a USB 3.0 header. Between all this, we have two SATA III ports with an additional two being seen above the DIMM slots. All four of these ports run off of the Intel Z97 chipset.
Moving around to the CPU area, you can see our 8-Pin CPU connector. Moving out, we get a look at the heat sink and CPU area. While the board is quite small, you can see that ASUS continues to keep a pretty clean CPU area. We've got a really nice heat sink sitting at the top of the board, and you can see we've got some fan headers and our BIOS battery. Overall, though, everything looks good.
Before we move onto the I/O side of things, we want to just quickly flip the motherboard over. While we normally don't venture back here, it's important in this instance. You can see on the other side that ASUS has managed to squeeze in an M.2 Socket. We're seeing this connector on most of the new Z97 motherboards, and it's great to see that ASUS has been able to make use of one of the main features that is bought to the table via the Z97 chipset.
Finishing our look at the motherboard, we look the I/O side of things. We find a Combo PS/2 port along with two of the four USB 3.0 connectors that run off of the Z97 chipset. We've got a bunch of video out options, including DVI-D, VGA, HDMI, and DisplayPort.
Continuing to move across, we've got four USB 2.0 ports running off of the Z97 chipset along with Gigabit networking via the Intel I218V chip. Finally, we end our look at the motherboard with an optical port and three auxiliary ports, all of which run off of the ALC892 HD Codec.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve wants to use your brain as a controller
- Two new Nintendo Switch models to release around summer 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11: Noob Saibot/Shang Tsung added to roster
- Apple's TV service charges $9.99ea for HBO, Showtime, Starz
- Unlock Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice PC framerate with this mod
- ASrock X99 Extreme4 - adding NVMe SSD
- Global web designing
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Numskull Designs proudly reveals: Official Mortal Kombat Klassic merchandise
- Akuto: Showdown - fast-paced arena brawler game with swords and guns
- Creative Destruction and Transformers' Bumblebee Team Up for In-Game Event Arriving March 28
- Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash Invites You to Celebrate When it Releases April 10 on PC
- PUBG Mobile Reveals Its 2019 eSports Plans Which Will Feature A Prize Pool of $2.5 million USD