Close up with the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC
Moving onto the card, you can see the massive Tri-X cooler that takes up the entire PCB except for a tiny bit at the bottom. This isn't the first time we've seen the Tri-X fan. Earlier in the year, we saw it on the R9 290X 4GB Tri-X from Sapphire. It did a good job of impressing us then, and we're hoping it does a good job again here today.
The Tri-X name, of course, comes due to the three fan setup that sits atop a massive heat sink. Looking behind the center fan, you can see the main plate over our GPU and a number of copper heat pipes coming out of it helping to draw the heat away from the core. This is a serious cooler, and we expect some serious performance out of it.
Taking a look around the card, you can see the overhang that is present in the first image. It really goes to show just how massive this cooler is. Moving away from that, though, you can see that power comes in the form of a single 8-Pin and 6-Pin PCIe power connector. Staying across the top of the card but moving towards the front, you can see we've got a little switch that lets use move between two BIOS. Being an R9 290 series based card means that we don't have any CrossFire bridges. AMD eliminating the need for a CrossFire bridge on the R9 290 series is a really nice little feature that helps make for a clean setup.
Finishing our look at the card, we head over to the I/O side of things where we find two Dual-Link DVI-D connectors alongside a single HDMI and DisplayPort connector. Here you can also see some vents that are designed to help push some of the hot air out the back of your case. This is a fairly typical I/O setup and brings with it no real surprises.
Moving onto the specifications side of things, we mentioned in the start that this is an OC model from Sapphire. While normally we would take to MSI Afterburner and overclock the card further ourselves, because this is the first non-reference OC card we've looked at, we've decided to leave it alone. Along with that, the fact that we've also got the Vapor-X card sitting behind us means we'll take to overclocking with that one.
Looking above, you can see that Sapphire has pushed the core of the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC up to 1000MHz. This is up from the reference 947MHz clock. As for the 3GB of GDDR5 memory, unlike most companies, Sapphire has also chosen to give that a bump.
Looking above, you can see we move from the stock 5000MHz QDR to a slightly increased 5200MHz QDR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 14 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 15 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 16 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate updated to 3.0.1, no Joker nerfs
- Super Mario Maker 2 pre-order comes with a sketching stylus
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!