Seagate 6TB Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 Internals
The Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 comes in the familiar 3.5-inch form factor. The breather hole to the upper left of the Seagate logo reminds us of the v4's standard drive architecture. The HGST He6 is a sealed drive and does not require the use of a breather hole, enabling use in immersed and high-humidity environments. The Seagate v4 has a humidity sensor that detects when the drive is above spec and alerts the user. The v4 features ramp load technology and a top-cover attached motor.
The v4 has a different hole-spacing layout than typical HDDs, lacking two of the typical middle screw emplacements on the side of the drive. The remaining fastener mounts line up with the same mounts on the He6. Both drives feature a modified position on the bottom rear fasteners. Users need to be aware and plan accordingly, but a slight modification of most side-mount trays will suffice.
The foam covering rests between the PCB and the drive to absorb vibration. Thermal pads cover the controller and motor controller to shed heat into the case of the drive. There is a sheer plastic cover over three rows of capacitors on the right edge of the PCB.
There are no discernible manufacturer markings to identify the drive controller. The SK Hynix memory chip offers 128MB of multi-segmented cache. The SMOOTH drive motor controller resides to the bottom right of the PCB. Two accelerometers occupy opposing corners of the PCB and help counteract drive movement and vibration. The Seagate v4 touts industry-leading rotational vibration tolerance.
Idle power consumption is a pain point in the datacenter. The Seagate Enterprise Capacity v4 utilizes PowerChoice Technology. PowerChoice is Seagate's proprietary implementation of the T10/T13 Approved Standard. PowerChoice provides four enhanced idle modes that place the drive into deeper quasi-sleep cycles to conserve power. In a typical implementation, the feature is enabled with a SAS Mode Page or SATA Set Feature command. Once enabled, PowerChoice places the drive into successively deeper idle states triggered by the length of drive inactivity.
There is also the option for immediate host-initiated power transitions with SAS/SATA commands. Each consecutive sleep mode requires more time to resume. We test idle power consumption without PowerChoice activated, so there is an option for even lower idle power consumption. We tested idle power and measured the Seagate v4 at 9.1 watts, and the He6 measured in at 7 watts and 5.4-5.5 watts during deeper sleep intervals.
HGST Ultrastar He6 Specifications
The Seagate v4 offers SED models (AES-256) with ISE (Instant Secure Erase). ISE eases drive retirement and repurposing by eliminating the need for physical destruction. Seagate SED drives are typically the same price as standard drives. There is also an SED-FIPS 140-2 model available. The SED-FIPS version is only available at the 6TB capacity point. Seagate is the only drive manufacturer that offers SED-FIPS drives with tamper-evident coverings.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Seagate Enterprise Capacity v4 Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- Samsung's new GDDR6 should power next-gen GeForce RTX 2080
- Resident Evil 2 Premium Edition costs a huge $900
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX overclocked to 6GHz with LN2
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market