Test System Setup
To test our video card coolers, we use the test system and software seen in the chart above. After the system has been booted and has idled out to its lowest temperature, we open up GPU-Z and after a few minutes we take a reading of the lowest temperature shown for the idle results. This is for both stock and aftermarket coolers. To provide the load for our testing, we have chosen Unigine Heaven as our heat source. We run the test at default settings, only changing the resolution to 1080p. After running in benchmark mode for twenty minutes, we again go to GPU-Z for results. To make sure we are getting the correct readings, not only do we log the results, but we also set the sensors to keep the maximum values shown, so when the software is closed, we can verify with the logs on the maximum temperatures for the various runs and thermal applications for each cooler.
The idle temperatures are the best we have seen, even against the full cover water blocks, but there is less to cool with the Kraken G10, as it only cools the GPU die with liquid, so it's not really a surprise either. At this point, it appears all the time and energy taken to get this kit assembled for testing might be worth it.
For points of reference, the 92mm fan was spinning at 1500 RPM, and the pump on the X40 was running full speed for all testing, but we did limit the fan to 7.5V of power, and had it spinning at only 1100 RPM at this point.
When the load is applied, the full coverage water block still takes the top of the charts, but there is much more cost involved with that test setup than the Kraken X40 plus the Kraken G10 kit, and being only two degrees behind the best on the chart is quite the accomplishment.
Once the overclock is added in, this kit really shines, and it only increases a single degree. We do have the pump still spinning at full speed, and the G10 fan is still cranking at 1500 RPM, but this time the X40 fan was allowed to spool up to full speed at 1900 RPM.
Two other things to cover are the noise, and reports of the cards heating up under the fan. First of all, the noise level of the Kraken G20 is a steady 33dB from the fan. However, the X40 runs at 37dB at idle and roared up to 52dB when powered with 12V. So if noise is an issue, choose wisely as to which AIO is going to work for your needs. Secondly, on the reports of cards getting hot, without heat sinks on the power delivery system, it is obviously going to heat. We got lucky on two points. Our card is very efficient, and even with an IR thermometer we saw two degrees difference between the stock cooler and our Kraken G10 kit. Just be sure you know what sort of heat you have to deal with, plan accordingly, and issues like that will be kept at bay.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [NZXT Kraken G10 Liquid Cooled GPU Mounting Kit]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Take home The Crown in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Vital Progenix
- ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 with AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU will only boot Windows after reset
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions