Inside the 1U12LW-C2750 Server
The heart of the system is a Mini-ITX motherboard that ASRock sells as a stand-alone component if you don't need the full server kit.
Two 2.5-inch HDD bays on the right of the server can hold hard drives, but it becomes a tight fit if you install a PCIe card.
Here we have a half-height, half-depth PCIe card installed in the server.
We didn't find a lot wrong with the server, but there were a few issues that popped up. We see the first here. The sharp pins sticking out of the PCIe adapter can rub against the cables.
Most users will never need to swap out the motherboard in their server, but since we wanted to test both the 8-core Avoton and the 4-core, we needed to pull the motherboard to do so. The SATA cables are very tight and fragile. We ended up damaging two ports on two cables. We went out of pocket to replace them even though the special reverses (SFF-8087 to SATA reverse) are difficult to find.
Fan replacement is quick and easy with ASRock's simple mounting components. The barebones server even ships with a spare in the package.
The system isn't as loud as you might expect, but it's far from quiet. This isn't a system you would use in your theater room or a regular computer room.
Three rows of four drives gives this server unmatched capacity in a 1U form factor.
The drives mount to metal cages, and then the cages slide into the server. 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch form factor drives are supported.
The drives then slide into place, and the cage locks in place with a single thumb screw.
The backplane uses an SFF-8087 connector, so you get full speed without funneling the data through an expander.
Each backplane has two power connectors to split the power.
The 250-watt power supply is rated 80 Plus Bronze.
Here we see the system fully loaded with twelve drives installed in the bays. With 4 TB drives, you can get 48TB in a 1U space. New 6TB drives increase the density to a massive 72TB! We used Seagate 4TB NAS drives for our final test even though you see Western Digital Reds in this image.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Hollow Knight for Switch, Gods & Glory free DLC details
- Resident Evil 2 remake PC requirements announced
- Gears of War 5 on PC scales incredibly well, up to 120FPS
- Red Dead Redemption 2 may come to PC
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.32
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 and Ryzen 5 2600 Review
- Best SSD For Gaming: Over 120 SSDs Tested!
- Vampyr Review: Bloody Rare
- ASROCK X370 and MB STICKS
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit