Test System Setup and NAS Management
Our Consumer NAS test 'system' is setup similar to what you have at home. Here we have the base as a GIGABYTE Z77X UP5 TH, which is housing an Intel Core i5-3570K with 16GB of RAM supporting. Our Operating System of choice is Windows 8 x64 Enterprise, with all available updates and patches installed, on a Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD. On the networking side, we utilized the HotLava Vesuvius 6 Port Server Adapter with a direct connection to each NAS appliance. This eliminates the need for a switch, and any bottlenecks that may occur.
The TeraStation 5600 WSS ships preconfigured in RAID 5, and it should stay there. RAID 5 uses fewer system resources than RAID 6, and at the same time, it still keeps your data in a redundant environment. The system supports RAID 0, 1, 5, and JBOD. Optionally, you can configure Windows Storage Pools to allow a two-way parity.
The system information screen for the 5600 WSS shows us a little more about the server itself. Here we can see we are running an x64 copy of Storage Server 2012 R2 fully activated out of the box.
Moving on, we opened up the device manager to take a peek. Here we can see all six drives ready to go, dual NICs, and of course, the four cores on the Intel Atom D2701.
Installed on the TeraStation, you will find the Dashboard; from here, you can get a quick look at what's going on with the system, and if you happen to have a few TeraStations set up at your business, you can beep the machine, and it will play a jingle reminiscent of the old Zelda tune.
Additionally, we have RAID builder from Buffalo that allows quick setup of RAID arrays if you don't want to muck about in disk manager or fiddle with Storage Spaces.
Buffalo also added an interesting application that will allow us to tweak the settings of the front mounted LCD screen.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gabe Newell is the 427th richest person in the world
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard