Version and / or Patch Used: 2012 1.5
One of the largest selling points for this SSD is the low power consumption.
The Optima delivered 280 minutes in our Mobile Mark 2012 test, the fifth best in this capacity size.
The only thing that could possibly keep this drive from receiving our highest award is if it catches on fire, eats our data due to reliability issues or sprouts legs and runs away. None of those have happened yet. We first tested the Silicon Motion 2246EN at Flash Memory Summit 2013, so SM hasn't rushed this controller to market. From the start, Silicon Motion targeted the low-cost market, so this isn't a performance SSD controller that's no longer able to compete in the hyper performance market.
When you design a product for the middle of the road, the pressure is off to bring home the crown of flagship performance. Over the years, we've tested controllers from Marvell, Phison and LSI SandForce that were geared towards the mainstream with 4-channels, but all of those companies derived the silicon from very high performance parts. Silicon Motion went the other way and targeted the mainstream.
It's not like SMI cut any corners either with the technology other than the 4-channel design. This controller supports hardware encryption for TCG Opal support, uses advanced power states to reduce power consumption, and supports a wide range of flash.
Newegg already has a handful of user reviews and we can use the 96% five and four egg reviews as an indication of the drives short-term reliability. The drive just hit the market so long term data isn't available outside of SMI's or PNY's test labs.
No matter what I say here can stop this drive from being a high seller. At $109.99 ($89.99 after a MIR), this is the lowest priced 256GB class SSD on the market. We have a broad readership, but the millions of people who shop for an SSD without reading reviews will find this drive. Hopefully they come here to read the review too. Either way, the price makes this an instant hit.
Luckily this drive is a good all-around performer with good daily use performance and low power consumption. It's not the absolute very best SSD on the market, but if price even plays a small role in your purchasing decision, then you need to take a close look at the PNY Optima 240GB.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Father of Sonic joins Square Enix to work on new game
- Stardew Valley was the most downloaded Switch game in 2017
- Vive Pro's recommended PC specs may get bumped up
- Sony and Nike make official PS2 shoes
- Games industry may make $170 billion in 2018, firm predicts
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series