Version and / or Patch Used: 2012 1.5
The Crucial M550 512GB scored in the middle of the pack in our notebook battery life test at just over 266 minutes on our Lenovo W530 with a six-cell battery. The Crucial M500 delivers the best-in-class battery life.
A topic we discussed in the previous M550 articles is the fact that Crucial now has a two-drive approach for the SSD market. The notebook battery life test shows the M500's superior power handling, and in every other test we published today, the M550 features superior performance capabilities.
With the M550 clean and with long periods of idle time, the drive performs very well. In some cases, it's the fastest 512GB drive currently on the market. Then there are those other times when the drive is slower, with increased access times and with slow file transfers to the drive. Luckily, it's not every day we install large games or wear a drive down with massive data writes. Even then, after some idle time, the M550 recovers.
There is still one problem in this capacity size that will make potential M550 buyers think twice: its name is 840 EVO. Newegg shows the 840 EVO 500GB at $259.99 and the M550 512GB at $336.99. The performance of these two drives is similar, but there is a large price discrepancy. Crucial needs to close the gap in order to gain market share.
The only real thing really holding this drive back is the price. From a hardware perspective, the M550 delivers the goods. The hardware encryption and host power fail protection are very nice features if you need them. Everyone can benefit from host power fail protection; it's a nice insurance policy for serious users doing real work. Hardware encryption is also a nice feature, but not everyone can use it. Even though Microsoft added eDrive to Windows, other hardware components must be compatible as well, and we've found several that are not. It's something to consider when building a system.
PRICING: You can find the Crucial M550 (512GB) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Crucial M550 (512GB) retails for $331.22 at Amazon.
New Zealand: The Crucial M550 (512GB) retails for $616.99 NZD at Mighty Ape NZ.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Rust will leave Steam Early Access on February 8
- Far Cry 5 official PC system requirements revealed
- Father of Sonic joins Square Enix to work on new game
- Stardew Valley was the most downloaded Switch game in 2017
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series