Sphere and Complex Surface Quality
Creating a smooth sphere is a complex task for a 3D printer as its axes are positioned on a square frame. This means that the 3D printer must make minute changes in the X and Y axis multiple times per second to maintain a good spherical print. The same applies for surfaces that feature many different curves of varying degrees.
To test the printer's performance on these parameters, I have chosen two objects that have both spherical and complex curves. The Surface Finish Calibration Test and Female Statue Test are both designed to stress the printer's calibration as well as extrusion quality.
The Surface Finish Calibration Test is one of my favorite objects to print when testing surface finish, spherical quality, and complex curves. Here you can see some seaming created by the print head starting at the same spot for every new layer. The additional flaws are derived from layers not having enough time to passively cool before the next layer is started. This is easily fixable by adding a simple fan to the extruder head. Overall, though, the surface quality is not that bad, and a few minutes with sandpaper would clean it right up.
The female form is one of the most complex shapes in nature and includes a multitude of flowing curves and radiuses that can be really tough to print. Unfortunately, as with most PLA printers, cooling time between small layers is not long enough to prevent the distortion seen here. Again, a fan would really improve print quality here. I have printed this model several times in ABS and have not experienced this issue on anything but PLA.
Another angle showing the backside of the model. You can see where the overhang became too great for the still soft plastic to retain its printed shape. You will see that this is not an issue on larger prints that have longer layer print times that allow the PLA to sufficiently cool before the next layer is started.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Overview and Hardware Specifications]
- Page 2 [Unboxing and Photos]
- Page 3 [Setup and Use]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 5 [Testing: Small Part Stress Test]
- Page 6 [Testing: Overhangs and Bridging]
- Page 7 [Testing: Sphere and Complex Surface Quality]
- Page 8 [Testing: Circle Accuracy]
- Page 9 [Testing: Complex Objects and Time]
- Page 10 [Heating Performance]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- World of Warcraft expansion 'Battle for Azeroth' releases
- FromSoftware release Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice screenshots
- Capcom/Valve to fix Monster Hunter: World connection errors
- Marvel's Spider-Man gameplay launch trailer unveiled early
- Nintendo smashes Sony in total hardware sales: 700 million+
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $1,300
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market