Test System Setup and NAS Management
Our Consumer NAS test 'system' is setup similar to what you have at home. Here we have the GIGABYTE Z77X UP5 TH motherboard housing an Intel Core i5 3570K with 16GB of RAM supporting. Our Operating System of choice is Windows 8 x64 Enterprise, with all available updates and patches installed, on a Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD.
On the networking side, we utilized the Intel PRO1000 PT Server Adapter with a direct connection to each NAS appliance. This eliminates the need for a switch, and eliminates any bottlenecks that may occur.
Upon launching the web GUI, you get the sense that the interface is rather elegant.
After initial setup, the interface lands here. In this menu, you can get the overall scope of how your EX2 is doing with drive health and capacity listed next to firmware status.
On the shares tab, you can setup additional folders to store your data. Here you can see there are three predefined folders for use with Time Machine, Smartware, and public sharing.
Over on the backups tab, the option to setup USB transfers is available. You can also setup NAS to NAS transfers and online backups as well.
Looking at the Storage tab, you will see we have the option to setup the RAID mode though the unit is configured from the factory for redundancy. You can also setup and use iSCSI, a feature not commonly found on two-bay appliances.
The settings menu allows you to change the network name of the EX2 alongside the time and date settings. Further down, we have Cloud settings and Energy saving options.
Over on the networking tab, you will find options to enable and disable services along with changing the workgroup name.
The Utilities menu allows you to manage your NAS by formatting or scanning your drives, mounting ISOs to work from, and restoring your NAS.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing, Availability and Specifications]
- Page 2 [WD MyCloud EX2]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and NAS Management]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Single Client Throughput]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Random and Sequential Workloads]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Consumer Multi Client]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- AMD Radeon RX Vega 32, RX Vega 28 rumored to be coming
- AMD's new drivers add CrossFire support to RX Vega
- Intel working on dual-core i3-7360X for X299
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM