Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
$1,499. Let's just get it out the way, rip it off like a band aid. At $1,499, the AMD Radeon R9 295X2 8GB is not just an expensive video card, but it's just an expensive piece of hardware or to be honest, an expensive item period. $1,499 is just a lot of money to drop on anything and simply too much for many people when it comes to a video card. Priced at a massive chunk when compared to two R9 290X 4GB cards which can be seen for about $1,200, the cost of more performance then that setup and the water cooled solution is costing you 25% more.
From a pure performance standpoint, the AMD Radeon R9 295X2 8GB doesn't ever offer 25% more performance than a CrossFire R9 290X 4GB setup. What you need to decide, though, is if the premium you're paying is worth the single card solution or the custom water cooling setup.
A quad GPU setup also blows out to near $3,000 compared to $2,400 if you went down the path of four R9 290X 4GB video cards. Most people are more than likely finding themselves giving some weird justifications for spending this much money on a video card. In the end, though, you're not going to find yourself disappointed with what is being offered here from AMD, though.
We love the model for many reasons. First, the performance is fantastic. While historically you would expect it to perform a little under what a pair of R9 290X 4GB cards give because more often than not we see these dual GPU cards be a pair of slightly down clocked top-end GPUs, AMD has instead turned around and chosen to make the core clock on each higher.
So they should have, though. Since they chose to move away from standard air cooling and into AIO water cooling, they should've done more with the core - which is another thing we love about the card. The cooling setup is awesome. We've got this custom AIO Asetek unit cooling the cores. But along with that, AMD hasn't forgot about the other components on the card and have installed a fan on the card itself which looks great glowing in red.
Then we have the quality of the card. Every card at launch you're going to see will follow the reference design, and while that might not always sound glamorous, the reference design AMD is offering on the AMD Radeon R9 295X2 8GB is fantastic. The quality of the shroud is excellent and the feel of the card is great. We hope that companies choose to do something special with the package and really highlight what is being offered here.
Having $1,499 to spend is one thing, but having $1,499 to spend on a video card is another. This card isn't going to be for everybody. It's really going to be for very few people and we don't doubt that the card is going to come in limited numbers and be sold out constantly with people having to have them on back order. In the end, though, it's for good reason - this card is a beast! AMD has done a fantastic job with it and we love it to bits. Dual GPU setups aren't for everyone, nor are $1,500 video cards, but if you're after some serious power, this beast of a video card should have your undivided attention.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 15 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Disney Pixar release short film 'Bao' - A Mother & Son story
- Warframe: Fortuna the Profit-Taker debuts to PC, out now
- Steam Winter Sale starts Dec 20th, Award Nominees released
- Switch beats Xbox One/PS4 sales from: March 2017-Nov 2018
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 3 million units sold in 11 days
- I have a serious problem with audio on my new x470 taichi motherboard
- supplement4reviews com/keto-burn-xtreme-reviews/
- AdMaster: 79% of China advertisers to increase digital marketing spend in 2019
- Safety Laser Scanner Market Worth $406 Million by 2023 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets
- Archer Ascension Now Available in Black Desert Online SEA
- Back to Ubersreik DLC is now available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4
- Ark: Survival Evolved Transformed Into A Winter Wonderland With The Arrival Of Raptor Claus