Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts
Priced at around the mid $300 mark, the XFX R9 280X Double D Black Edition OC brings with it an aggressive price point that sees it sit in line with some of the cheapest R9 280X 3GB offerings currently available. Considering the strong out-of-the-box overclock and the quality cooler, we have to admit that we're surprised to see that XFX has been so aggressive with the pricing. Of course, it's not something that we're ever going to complain about.
Moving into the bundle, you can see that it's a fairly standard bundle from XFX with a bunch of paperwork along with the normal Driver CD and a couple of power connectors. What we would've liked to have seen in the bundle was at least a single Mini-DP to DisplayPort connector to round things off. If you're using a DisplayPort monitor and you don't already have a connector, you'll find yourself having to order one, which can be a slight inconvenience.
As for the performance of the card, XFX has put together a really nice card. Out of the box the performance is good as XFX has really given us a nice overclock. The fact that they have also chosen to increase the memory clock speed alongside the core is really nice. Increasing the memory clock is something we see few companies do these days and, if they do, it's because they have increased the core an extremely small amount. Today, though, we can see that XFX has given us a decent core bump along with the memory clock speed increase.
Increasing the speed in both areas has helped create a nice boost in performance that results in some great numbers seen in a number of our benchmarks here today at all resolutions. Compared against the GTX 770 2GB, you can see it's a bit of a back and forth fight when it comes to performance. Both cards have their strengths, but looking today you can see that you really can't go wrong with the R9 280X 3GB.
The XFX variant of the R9 280X 3GB is nice. The cooler looks simple and elegant; the good news, though, is that it doesn't only look great, but it performs exceptionally well with noise and temperature as well. If you're after an R9 280X 3GB that hits at a really strong price point, the model that XFX has shown here today is one you should be looking at.
PRICING: You can find the XFX R9 280X Double D Black Edition OC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The XFX R9 280X Double D Black Edition OC retails for $359.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Epic Games announces $100 million grant program
- Smash Bros. Ultimate pro-player storms out of tournament
- Remedy's new game Control is Epic Games exclusive for 1 year
- Unreal Engine 4 ray tracing tech demo 'Troll' teased at GDC
- NVIDIA: Turing GPUs sold 45% more than Pascal during launch
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- Seagate Game Drive PS4 2TB Review
- GA-X99-UD5 rev 1.0 power ON issue
- LoanCare, a ServiceLink Company, Announces New Chief Information Officer
- Giada Adds AMD Ryzen-Powered DM6 To High-Performance Signage Player Series
- Slay Time - Hack and Slash MMORPG Guardians of Ember Enters Open Beta
- Nokia Commits US$750K to Support the Work of the Internet Engineering Task Force
- The global installed base of airport asset tracking systems will reach 0.4 million units in 2023