Out of the box, this is an impressive server; it is a very solid box. The quality of construction is also very high.
The hard drive trays are also very solid, and pulling out each tray is very smooth. Each tray will snap right back into locking position with ease.
With barebones kits having all the connections done for you, it makes things really easy when assembling a server. As you can see, all cables secured into positions that allow for good airflow, and there is no need to mess with any cables with this kit.
We also really like that the kit comes with a printed manual. It is nice to have a printed hard copy when you are in the lab so that you do not have to keep going back and forth to your computer to check a PDF.
We would also recommend not using passive heat sinks because we do not think the fans on the middle bar are strong enough to provide adequate cooling. With that said, the Dynatron R14s handled the heat loads very well, and we had no issues with this box running hot.
With most 2U servers we have worked on, we found the fans used were screamers; these are not, and in fact, it does not make that much noise compared to others we have used. If you set the fans to auto in the BIOS, when the load drops down to idle, it makes very little noise. This is very nice if you plan to use these in an office environment. However, keep in mind that, under full load, it still makes a fair amount of noise, just not near as much as other servers we have used.
As you can see by the benchmark results, the 2U12L6SC-2TS6 comes out very well in the results we showed. Power consumption was also low, and this mean lower power costs.
One issue we had was removing the middle bar fans. The wires that connect to these can snag the fan when trying to pull them out. We had to use a screwdriver to hold the wires back, and then pull the fan out. This is only an issue if you ever have to remove a fan.
The last issue is the kit does not come with rails and you will need to purchase them separately. The manual states that the rails to use are In-WIN 3A68-660CP 2U rails.
We would also like to see push button locks that hold the top lid in place. If you install the server in a rack and you need to access the insides, it's simple to just pull the server out, push the locking buttons, and remove the top without having to get to the screws in the back.
Overall, we found the 2U12L6SC-2TS6 to be a well-built, powerful server that would make a fine addition to any server setup.
PRICING: You can find the ASRock Rack 2U12L6SC-2TS6 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The ASRock Rack 2U12L6SC-2TS6 retails for $2595.12 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Packaging]
- Page 2 [Specifications and Layout]
- Page 3 [Preparing for Use]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Software & Remote Management]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [System and CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [UnixBench 5.1.3 and SPEC CPU2006v1.2]
- Page 10 [Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shows off Switch VR kits in action
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced