Toshiba's latest entrant into their SSD lineup makes great gains in endurance, performance, and consistency. The strength of the existing products in Toshiba's SSD enterprise portfolio will be bolstered when they incorporate OCZ's new controller technology into future products. One of the great benefits of the OCZ acquisition is the PCIe SSD offerings they bring to the table, but Toshiba's own existing 2.5-inch enterprise SSD segment is already a strong asset.
There are a complex mix of factors in every SSD purchasing decision. The warranty, encryption, and power fail protection bases are covered by the Toshiba PX02SS, and its endurance is unmatched by other 12Gb/s SSDs. A perfect example is the astounding 5.4PB endurance provided by the 100GB capacity point. The PX02SS series delivers static performance specifications across all capacities, while some SSDs are slower with smaller SSDs. This gives the PX02SS a clear advantage at lower capacities. The endurance of the PX02SS is a big selling point, and it is one that clearly destines the Toshiba flagship for the most demanding write-intensive workloads.
The Toshiba PX02SS excels in most of its standard performance tests, though it is outstripped in random 4k read/write speed by the HGST SSD800MM. Moving to the 8k testing brings the PX02SS into its comfort zone, where it tops the charts with an unmatched 100,000 random read IOPS. In random 8k write performance, the PX02SS also shines, delivering an average speed just shy of the performance from the HGST.
Pure read and write testing does not always tell the whole story, and a look at the mixed random 8k workloads reveals impressive performance from the Toshiba PX02SS; it leads nine of the 11 mixed 8k workloads. This is an important metric; many applications lean heavily on 8k performance.
Moving on to sequential performance, the PX02SS ties the HGST in sequential read performance, but it trails behind in sequential write performance; the SSD800MM nearly doubles its performance. The slower sequential speed of the PX02SS is a dark spot on an otherwise spotless resume. In fairness, an SSD designed for transactional environments will not likely be subjected to excessive sequential write workloads. In our mixed sequential testing, we again found an advantage for the PX02SS; it bested the HSGT in many of the mixed 128K workloads.
The PX02SS likes to play in mixed workloads and handles them well, and this translated over to our server emulations. While the PX02SS sports high average performance, one area we would like to see improvement is in performance consistency. The HGST delivers a much tighter range of performance.
Things aren't always as clear-cut as they appear, and every drive is going to have advantages and disadvantages. Both SSDs have strengths and weaknesses, and pricing will be a deciding factor in many cases. The Toshiba PX02SS is clearly purpose-built for transactional environments, and it delivers unmatched performance in mixed workloads and a staggering amount of endurance, meriting the TweakTown Best Features award.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Toshiba PX02SS Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI's new MEG 390 GODLIKE motherboard leaked, looks awesome
- Death Stranding's bizarre new trailer is darkly enchanting
- Square Enix to double down on service games
- Nintendo 64 Classic Edition likely on the way
- Anthem's early play trials are paygated
- EP2C602 wont post
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- صيانة جنرال اليكتريك مصر 0235700994 | توكيل ثلاجات ج
- صيانة كلفينيتور مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجات كلفين
- Battery Issue
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games