Toshiba PX02SS Internals
The 800GB versions come with a 15mm z-height. The case is constructed of a lightweight metal alloy and features the relevant branding. The top of the case also holds a recessed series of indentations that function as heat channels. The rear of the case has a metal recessed area, and we note a square hole, and several round ones, on the bottom of the SSD to allow heat to flow from the interior of the case.
The thermal characteristics of the heat channels become clear when we open the case of the SSD. There are small thermal pads that mate with the NAND and DRAM to wick heat away from these components. The pads are present on both sides of the case. Four small thermal pads mate with the top of the controller and another four connect to the PCB on the rear of the controller. We usually observe large thick thermal pads that cover entire banks of NAND in many enterprise SSDs. In this type of 'open' case design, this could impede internal airflow.
There is a SK Hynix DRAM module on both sides of the PCB. The large controller dominates the middle of the PCB. There are eight 64GB 24nm eMLC NAND packages (8k page) on both the top and bottom of the PCB with eight 64Gb die per package. This gives us 1024GB of raw NAND, only 400GB of which is user-addressable. A total of 34 power capacitors protect from host power loss.
The Marvell TC58NC9036GTC controller utilizes custom Toshiba firmware.
Toshiba PX02SS Specifications
The PX02SS has static random performance specifications with all capacity points, but the 800GB model takes a small hit in sequential read speed. There is 1GB of DRAM caching on the 800GB, 256MB for the 200GB, and 512MB for the 400GB model.
The PX02SS is compatible with 6Gb/s and 12Gb/s SAS3 dual-port connections. The full-duplex 12Gb/s SAS connection features multi-path ability for failover redundancy to ensure no single point of failure. The drive features a read error rate of less than one LBA per 10^17 bits transferred and an MTBF of two million power-on hours.
Power loss protection is built-in with a bank of tantalum capacitors to flush data in transit down to the NAND in the event of a power failure. The energy efficiency is 19,500 IOPS-per-Watt for the 400GB model, though this is measured as read IOPS-per-Watt. The PX02SS features up to 30 drive writes per day (DWPD) of endurance. There are also versions supporting SANITIZE Instant erase available, but they come with a notable 190 MiB/s decrease in sequential read speed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Toshiba PX02SS Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- CD Projekt RED opens new studio to work on Cyberpunk 2077
- Tencent to publish Ubisoft's biggest games in China
- Vivendi cancels Ubisoft takeover, to sell all company shares
- Bizarre horror game Agony delayed
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit