We've mentioned a number of times how impressed we've been with the R series of video cards from AMD, and the R9 290X 4GB was a clear stand out. While AMD did hold the lead for the fastest single GPU card for a bit, it didn't take NVIDIA long to retaliate with the release of the GTX 780 Ti 3GB, which saw both companies performing quite close to each other.
While we're yet to see a non-reference cooled GTX 780 Ti 3GB, we're fortunate enough to see our first R9 290X 4GB. Coming from MSI and falling under the Twin Frozr Gaming series, it's, of course, a name we've heard about a lot, and today we're really excited to see just what this series can do for AMD's top video card.
While we found ourselves very happy with what AMD did with the performance of its top card, there's no denying that the card ran both quite warm and quite loud. This is an issue that we're hoping MSI can fix with the Twin Frozr IV cooler. There's really not much more that needs to be said, so let's get stuck into the package to see just what MSI is offering us.
Taking a look at the front of the box, you can see a very standard setup with the black and red color scheme going on and clear branding of the card being part of the Gaming series. Looking towards the bottom corner, you can see that the card is an OC Edition and carries with it the Twin Frozr IV Advanced cooler.
Turning the box over, you can see the main highlights of the card, which include support for the MSI Gaming APP alongside Military Class 4, which brings with it Hi-C and Solid Capacitors. The other big feature is, of course, the Twin Frozr IV Advanced cooler, which MSI claims will bring with it a drop in both temperature and noise levels. We're hoping it's true and we'll check it out later.
Moving inside the package, you can see that there's not a whole lot going on as usual. You can see we've got the quick user guide and driver CD, along with the DVI to VGA connector. Like we saw in the MSI GTX 750 Ti 2GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC the other day, we also have a leaflet on the Hybrid BIOS that MSI is using. Finally, we finish off the bundle with two power convertors, one a Molex to 6-Pin PCIe connector and the other a 6-Pin PCIe to 8-Pin PCIe connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced