Access to the interior is important, and the door opens to a wide angle beyond 90 degrees to allow easy access to both sides of the installed equipment. If more room is required, the door comes off easily. This angle gives us a view of the holes on the bottom rear of the unit. These allow for cabling to be snaked through the bottom of the unit. Some cable management is required where the cables snake out underneath the unit to prevent entanglement in the wheels during movement.
The front door handle is lockable, and there is a separate key for the rear door. The handle is operated by lifting and twisting it in a circular motion to unhinge the door. The design assures the unit cannot open accidentally from vibration or poor latching. The clear smoked acrylic window allows for easy monitoring of the various status lights on the installed equipment.
The front and rear doors are reversible and are connected via an ingenious pin system. Pulling down on the pins that attach the unit to the case allows quick and easy removal of the door. This also allows the user to re-orient the doors to open in the desired direction. This feature comes in very handy if the unit is near a wall or other obstruction.
The three 120mm fans pull 300 CFM of air from the unit to facilitate cabinet cooling. Air is drawn primarily through a rear filter that catches dust and other debris. There is some collateral airflow through the bottom cabling holes, but with an informal test, it is minimal. The upper-rear orientation of the fans is optimal, though we would prefer some means of pulling air in through the front of the unit. This would allow fresh air to come near the front of the server racks.
The cabinet provides adequate cooling for small to medium deployments, but when loaded to maximum capacity it will likely need one of the doors removed to provide adequate cooling. There is also the option to replace the fans with variable speed DC units to reduce fan noise.
The internal view of the fans reveals the standard AC plug used for powering the fans. The unit is rated for 39dBA. This is not whisper-quiet, but it is easily within tolerable range. One great advantage of the cabinet is the amount of sound it contains from installed equipment.
Some noise of the installed equipment will escape, but the unit does a good job of damping the high-pitched fan whine of screaming 1U and 2U servers. The noise absorption is not enough to allow the use of heavy equipment in an open office setting, but it does make the noise bearable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel CEO resigns, CFO steps up to the 10nm plate
- Playdead brings LIMBO and INSIDE to Nintendo Switch
- Sony doesn't need to enable cross-play, why risk 1st place?
- Unity's amazing Book of the Dead tech demo launched
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the most tweeted E3 title
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Asus X401A Laptop will not boot despite several replaced components -- Second attempt
- DDR4-3400 - Ryzen 7 1800x & Ryzen 7 2700x - X370 & X470
- LaCie DJI Co-Pilot 2TB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit