Seagate 1200 Internals
The Seagate 1200 has a very sturdy polished metal case with a bit of heft. The drive is on firmware version 0002.
We note the service port, and a small hole that features a recessed monitoring LED. This monitoring LED flashes in distinct patterns that denote the status of the SSD during operation. Once we remove the top, the thermal pads come into view. The thick pad in the center mates with the PCB under the controller, and effectively sandwiches the controller and assists in wicking away heat. The remainder of the pads cover the NAND and other critical components.
Removal of the other side of the case reveals that the case consists of three parts. Each side of the case holds four screws, and an additional six screws hold the PCB into the center frame. This is a very robust design that is reminiscent of militarized/rugged designs.
The SAS port consists of a long piece of plastic with two fasteners on each end to anchor it to the center frame. In high-vibration environments, the SAS port can become a common source of failures; this sturdy design will likely lead to fewer failures.
The Samsung 21nm MLC NAND is surprisingly resilient with a standard amount of overprovisioning.
The SSD utilizes a custom Marvell controller and 512MB of Micron DDR3-1600 RAM for caching. The banks of power capacitors provide enough capacitance to flush data to the NAND in the event of host power loss. There are open pads for more NAND packages on both sides of the PCB. These additional packages will allow the drive to reach its maximum capacity.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Overwatch two-year anniversary skins and patch notes reveal
- Human Head Studios release Rune: Ragarok gameplay video
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Donkey Kong Adventure unveil
- Hi-Rez Studios fires art contractor for copied Overwatch art
- Unreal is free for 2 days to celebrate its 20th anniversary
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit