With a $189.99 MSRP, the 240GB Vertex 460 fits right into the price range most want. I base that off the 840 and 840 EVO sales. With Toshiba's flash coming through the doors by the truckload, OCZ is once again in a position to take on the lower priced performance SSD market.
I was a bit surprised to see Vertex 460 compare very well to OCZ's flagship Vector 150 SSD, but after looking back at 840 EVO to 840 Pro, I see why OCZ needed to bring the second tier performance up so high. Consumers are the winner because you can purchase a MLC SSD with close to flagship performance for a lot less than flagship prices.
There is another aspect of the Toshiba connection we haven't discussed yet. Toshiba has one of the best SSD manufacturing facilities in the world according to some of the people I've spoken to from other companies. Companies that have Toshiba build their SSDs at Toshiba factories. Both of these companies like to talk about their low failure rates and they both attribute the failure rate to the drives built at the Toshiba factories. In an earnings call, OCZ stated that a third party was manufacturing OCZ drives and we think that third party was/is Toshiba. To expand on that a little further, we haven't heard about Vector, Vector 150 or Vertex 450 drives failing. The Toshiba connection may be why.
This is OCZ's first product after the Toshiba purchase and OCZ did a great job with the project. In this price range, this is the drive I would buy today. What really has us excited is what's coming next and then after that, and so on. Toshiba has talked about their 1Ynm flash for nearly a year now. 1Y changes the dimensions from 19mmx26mm with 1Xnm to 19mm to 19.5mm with 1Y. Toshiba can fit more dies per wafer and that will further reduce cost. At the same time 1Y will most likely increase the die capacity to 128Gb. That's just the MLC side.
On three occasions, we've seen Flash Forward (Toshiba / SanDisk NAND flash joint venture) TLC NAND in uncut wafers. Now that you are thinking about the new technology, imagine a company with access to the flash like OCZ. OCZ has all but created the enthusiast and consumer SSD market, at the very least they steered it to where we are today. Giving OCZ the keys to Toshiba's technology will once again change the SSD market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Shenmue III release date finalized
- Amazon kills 20% game pre-order discount, offers $10 credit
- Devil May Cry 5 gets stylish new gameplay and release date
- Battlefield V's low pre-orders could hurt EA, says analyst
- Everspace will take flight on the Switch in December
- Z87 pro4 bios setting not sticking
- P9X79E-WS Giant Headaches
- EVGA Z370 Classified K (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI-OP Motherboard Review
- Buy (30) Apple iPhone X $8,970 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada