As we draw to the conclusion of this review, we're left wondering: "Is this an Ultrabook that should be on my radar?" As always, it depends on the purchaser. I'll do my best to help you decide for yourself.
First we'll start with the bad, and then move to the good. One of the bad things about this system is its weight. It weighs in around 5 pounds, which is definitely noticeable in your backpack. If you're looking for the most lightweight convertible Ultrabook around, then this is definitely not the machine you're looking for. Part of this is due to its 1080p 15.6-inch display. You'll have to decide for yourself whether or not that is worth it to you.
Another issue I have with this machine is the use of an HDD. You've probably noticed throughout my review that I continually mentioned the fact that this system makes use of an HDD, instead of an SSD. As a person who uses SSDs exclusively, I am readily apparent of the difference that an SSD makes. Without one, the machine feels sluggish and slow; despite the use of a caching drive. However, the caching drive does allow for speedy resume from sleep operations. If they were to offer this system with an SSD, I'd be able to give it a stronger recommendation.
Now onto the good: The R7 can easily be converted into a tablet for media consumption, but also retains a full-size keyboard for content creation. The radical design of placing the touchpad above the keyboard allows access to both the keyboard, and the touchscreen. This takes some getting used to, but this is the mode I would use almost exclusively.
Furthermore, the R7 produces fairly good battery life, which is something that is important to have if you are going to be hauling your notebook around with you. The system is also quite quiet, making it a great device to have if you're sensitive to noise.
But, for $1000, I'm a bit hard-pressed to recommend this machine. As I stated above, with an SSD, I could easily recommend this machine. However, without one, the recommendation comes with some hesitance. While the design is solid (the "Ezel" hinge makes sure of that), but the system is just a bit sluggish for my taste. And speaking of sluggishness, the system also comes with a fair amount of bloatware, which could be contributing to the slow feeling.
If you were to buy this system, I would highly recommend you upgrade the HDD to an SSD immediately. This will help unleash the true potential of the system, and make sure you are not waiting on programs to open, or documents to save.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Configurations and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 3 [Keyboard, TouchPad, Screen and other User Interfaces]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 5 [Accessory Port Layout and Performance]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance]
- Page 7 [System Performance]
- Page 8 [Battery Life Performance]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rainbow Six Siege free-to-play trail beginning August 16th
- Rune: Ragnarok receives teaser trailer, screenshots & PC req
- Hi-Rez Studios announces creation of 3 distinct new studios
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution