As we draw to the conclusion of this review, we're left wondering: "Is this an Ultrabook that should be on my radar?" As always, it depends on the purchaser. I'll do my best to help you decide for yourself.
First we'll start with the bad, and then move to the good. One of the bad things about this system is its weight. It weighs in around 5 pounds, which is definitely noticeable in your backpack. If you're looking for the most lightweight convertible Ultrabook around, then this is definitely not the machine you're looking for. Part of this is due to its 1080p 15.6-inch display. You'll have to decide for yourself whether or not that is worth it to you.
Another issue I have with this machine is the use of an HDD. You've probably noticed throughout my review that I continually mentioned the fact that this system makes use of an HDD, instead of an SSD. As a person who uses SSDs exclusively, I am readily apparent of the difference that an SSD makes. Without one, the machine feels sluggish and slow; despite the use of a caching drive. However, the caching drive does allow for speedy resume from sleep operations. If they were to offer this system with an SSD, I'd be able to give it a stronger recommendation.
Now onto the good: The R7 can easily be converted into a tablet for media consumption, but also retains a full-size keyboard for content creation. The radical design of placing the touchpad above the keyboard allows access to both the keyboard, and the touchscreen. This takes some getting used to, but this is the mode I would use almost exclusively.
Furthermore, the R7 produces fairly good battery life, which is something that is important to have if you are going to be hauling your notebook around with you. The system is also quite quiet, making it a great device to have if you're sensitive to noise.
But, for $1000, I'm a bit hard-pressed to recommend this machine. As I stated above, with an SSD, I could easily recommend this machine. However, without one, the recommendation comes with some hesitance. While the design is solid (the "Ezel" hinge makes sure of that), but the system is just a bit sluggish for my taste. And speaking of sluggishness, the system also comes with a fair amount of bloatware, which could be contributing to the slow feeling.
If you were to buy this system, I would highly recommend you upgrade the HDD to an SSD immediately. This will help unleash the true potential of the system, and make sure you are not waiting on programs to open, or documents to save.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Configurations and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 3 [Keyboard, TouchPad, Screen and other User Interfaces]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 5 [Accessory Port Layout and Performance]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance]
- Page 7 [System Performance]
- Page 8 [Battery Life Performance]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem's new patch adds replayable missions, tweaks loot
- NVIDIA better celebrate 4/20 with GeForce 420.00 drivers
- Like Twin Peaks and X-Files? Check out Remedy's Control
- Why EA is firing 350 employees: it's all about business
- Hitman 2 'Expansion Pass' update adds DX12 support, March 26
- Fan xpert 4 resets at every restart
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- The Division 2 Benchmarked: 20 Graphics Cards Tested
- MSI MEG X399 CREATION (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Dead Cells New, Free DLC 'Rise of the Giant' Animated Trailer Showcases All New Ways to Die in Dead Cells
- Morel Audio releases Hogtalare Speaker System
- Introducing New Streaming Bundles From BLD by NZXT
- Stylish Turn Based RPG Grimshade out today on Steam
- Othercide Reveals New Gameplay Trailer