Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming in at $229.99 at the time of writing, the PowerColor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB sits in the middle of the pack when it comes to overall pricing. We've got a few cards that are more expensive, including the Devil 9 version of the card from PowerColor, which sits at $239.99. As always, when you start moving above the reference pricing, it's normally all about the cooler.
The PCS+ cooler that PowerColor uses seems to be strong. It puts out some great temperature numbers, albeit at a noise level that sits in the upper half of the graph. With that said, it's worth noting that while we are grabbing our noise levels, if we see the dB meter read something along the lines of 61 at first, and then finish up at 64.4 dB like it did today, the actual audible difference from 30cms away is not really noticeable. Of course overall though, we have to look at the numbers, and in the end this card does sit in the top half of the graph.
As for the bundle, there's almost nothing to it. With that said though, it is only slightly more sparse than what we normally see. The only thing this package lacks that we see most others include, are one or two Molex to PCIe power convertors. Considering how long PCIe power enabled power supplies have been around for though, we're not sure why companies still continue to include them in the package. The most important part of any package these days is the product itself, and we think PowerColor has done a good job in that regard.
When it comes to the performance side of things, PowerColor hasn't gone crazy with the clocks, but unlike a lot of other companies, they have chosen to increase the speed of the memory, which is nice. We can see that performance is slightly up over the reference card, which is as you'd expect due to the slight increase of the overclock.
When it comes to the Catalyst 13.12 Driver set today, there's clearly nothing in our benchmark line up that causes the driver to jump out in any huge way. Of course, with so many variations of the original 13.11 driver, it doesn't come as a huge surprise that there's not much change. During the course of that driver, we did see some decent changes, which saw big increases come to games like DiRT Showdown, and F1 2012.
If you're looking for a video card that comes in at that low $200 price bracket, then the R9 270X 2GB is a fantastic option. As with so many of the other R series cards, AMD has done a great job of pricing this card against its competition. Getting into specifics on what one to buy though, can be a little harder. PowerColor has put together a strong card here. It has an attractive cooler and while the overclock is not the largest, isn't bad at all; especially with the slight memory increase. And finally, the pricing is right where it needs to be.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]