Drive Acoustics and Power Consumption
Drive acoustics can be a very important metric when purchasing a drive. As such, we purchased, and built, a 12 x 12 x 12 box out of 2" thick insulating foam. In the center of the box, we placed the drive on 3" acoustic foam. Sound level measurements were taken from a distance of 6 inches.
Here, we have all drives hovering between 32 and 35 dba, throughout most of the testing. At the peak, the WD Black takes top honors as the loudest drive at 40 dba. Next in line, we have the Toshiba at 37 dba, and the WD Red, and Barracuda .14, round out the chart.
Our custom power testing samples each drive for a period of three minutes, across each workload. In order to offer more granularity, we sample the power in one-second intervals.
Across our entire workload, it is obvious that the WD Black is the top dog, eating up 8.5 watts at peak. The Toshiba manages five watts during random workloads, to a peak near six watts for sequential.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Toshiba DT01ACA 1TB HDD]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4K Random Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Drive Acoustics and Power Consumption]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayStation 5 coming in 2020, analyst predicts
- Papers Please short film highlights rigors of Arstotzka
- GPUz v2.8.0 released, lots of goodies as usual
- Warcraft III updated, includes 16:9 support and HEAPS MORE
- NVIDIA to launch new GeForce GTX series during GTC 2018
- Fujitsu-Siemens BIOS - LGA 771 to 775 microcode
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Enermax T.B. RGB, RGB Lighting 3 Fan Pack Review
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit