If you do happen to grab the FREE, it is well worth the time to venture over to the SteelSeries site, and start off simply charging the FREE, put it in pairing mode, and enjoy it on any Droid device. It really is that simple and with the long list of games to search for on your device, there are plenty of options to get you happily gaming with the FREE. An added bonus to this is once the FREE is paired onto the phone or tablet, you can also use the FREE to cycle pages, select apps, start them, and even exit them, on top of the gaming perspective of it. For iDevices, you will need to press and hold both the A and B buttons while the FREE is still off. This will set it up for arcade mode, and allow it to pair there; unfortunately there are no Apple products here to test the functionality on.
As for the PC setup, it is quite the process. First you set the controller to pair the device. Open up the Bluetooth window and add the device. Once that is set, go to the site and grab the SteelSeries engine 2.8 and install it. While at first this is where I was stuck, after getting another Bluetooth mSATA card, on another PC I did not run into the same driver issue that was plaguing me in the beginning. This time the software installed and once opened, there is a tab that will allow you to configure the FREE to suit your needs. This is when I went to Grid and ran quite a few laps, as well as playing many hours of various flash games over the last couple days. Even with all the haste we did run into at first, once solved, the FREE was an absolute pleasure to use and a welcomed addition. It saddens me, but we did not test on Mac because there is not one for me to test with. I can only assume that the FREE is just as enjoyable there.
I have had a lot of fun with the FREE. Even when things were not looking good for my PC testing, I was still really enjoying all of the Droid games that worked with the controller. Once I got the PC angle sorted out, I was trying to connect the FREE to every game I had. Some like Grid take very little effort, others took more finesse to make it work out, and some titles plain do not work with it, but that is okay because I enjoyed the fact of no cables like I have with my wired controllers I typically use. Taking it further, when I am at the airport, getting an oil change, or even when I'm sitting on the couch, I can slide the FREE out of my pocket and game on when things like Facebook just aren't entertaining enough.
The $43 pricing may make some think it is too small for that sort of an investment, but I'm telling you, ten minutes in your hands, and you will wonder why you liked the large controllers in the first place. The fact that it is so multi-platform capable just makes it a more obvious solution for more people than products before have ever even thought to include into one device. SteelSeries is right on the mark with the FREE, and I can't stress enough, how intuitive and fun the experience has been.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SteelSeries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Resident Evil 2 supports ultrawide monitors
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media