Technology content trusted in North America and globally since 1999
8,222 Reviews & Articles | 62,303 News Posts

FSP Aurum CM Gold 650M 650-Watt 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply Review

By: Zac O'Vadka | 80 PLUS Gold PSUs in Cases, Cooling & PSU | Posted: Dec 17, 2013 2:01 pm
TweakTown Rating: 90%Manufacturer: FSP

Test Results


Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.


The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are higher than that of the FSP Aurum CM Gold 650M 650W power supply, we can test it to the maximum.




The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware.




Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V1 rail, we see 1% regulation from start to finish with a total drop of .10V. Looking at 12V2, we see 1% regulation again from start to finish with a total voltage drop of .16V. 12V3 is yet again within 1% and shows a total voltage drop of .21. Rounding the 12V rails out is 12V4 and it was within 1% regulation as well, showing a voltage drop of .11V. The 5V rail managed to stay within 2% of specification with a total drop of .11V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was within 2% of specification with a total voltage drop of .08V.


DC Output quality for the FSP Aurum CM Gold 650M 650W was great and well within specifications. During Test 1, we saw 16mV of noise on our scope. When we increased the loads in Test 2, the ripple climbed to 22mV at around half load. During Test 4 under a load of 650W, the oscilloscope showed a maximum of 31mV on noise on the 12V rail.


The FSP Aurum CM Gold 650M 650W is rated for 80 PLUS Gold efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 87%/90%/87% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the Aurum CM Gold 650M passed on our bench, and wasn't close to failing at any point.



Final Thoughts


Ten years ago, there were only a handful of manufacturers that provided quality units to enthusiasts and power users. Back then, I couldn't count the number of units that I found faulty for one reason or another. Even then, it was pot luck as I witnessed several $300 units pop just moments after powering them on for the first time. Thankfully that was then and this is now. FSP's units have always shown us quality and the Aurum CM Gold 650W is no exception to this.


Even though it is a bit odd to see a quad rail unit in the 600W-700W segment, FSP makes it work. With the rail distribution, it is difficult to overload the power supply and performance is great out of this unit. The Aurum CM Gold 650M shows excellent regulation with the minor rails staying with 2% of specification and all 12V rails within 1%. While we've seen better from FSP regarding noise suppression, the Aurum CM Gold 650M does a great job, showing no more than 31mV at full load.


That should be more than enough to keep anyone who might use this power supply happy, and those who don't like it are probably going to need a lot more power, meaning they won't be looking at this unit to begin with.


The one big fail with this power supply is the lack of being able to know what rail power what cables. It is such a simple oversight, but can be very important if you are pushing things to the limit with this unit. We don't expect too many to do so, but it is still something that we hope FSP rectifies it in the future.


Other than that, the power supply is also a little bit expensive. Being able to catch the unit below MSRP helps quite a bit though so, as always, make sure that you do your homework before you buy.



    PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.

    United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.

    United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.

    Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.

    We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.

Related Tags

Got an opinion on this content? Post a comment below!