Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming in at $179.99 at the time of writing, the HIS R9 270 IceQ X2 2GB, and just the R9 270 in general, hit at a strong price point. The R9 270X is going to cost you $20 - $40 more, depending on what variant you get, while the R7 260X will set you back around $40 less. The move to the R9 270X isn't a huge jump in price, and for the most part we'd recommend spending the extra money, as there is a nice little performance jump that comes to the table.
Saying that though, if you're looking at a card around the R7 260X 2GB pricing level, we'd highly recommend thinking about if you can spend the extra $40 to make a move to the R9 270. Of course, to move from the R7 260X 2GB pricing level to the R9 270X 2GB brings with it a $60 - $80 increase, and we understand that is a much more significant jump.
While for a moment it feels like the R9 270 2GB could be a model to many for AMD, it really does slot in nicely between the R7 260X 2GB and R9 270X 2GB. Pricing is strong, but it would've been nice if it sat maybe $10 cheaper, and we saw both models that sit beside it come in at a $30 difference. In the end though, you can see that the R9 270 2GB does lean more towards its bigger brother than its younger brother.
Getting into some specifics on the HIS variant of the card, there's not too much to say outside of what we've already said since the card does carry with it the reference clocks. The only thing we can really comment on is the cooler, and in typical HIS fashion it's strong. The IceQ series of coolers have been strong since their introduction, and the X2 variant has done an excellent job of keeping cards cool at a decent noise level.
While at times the new R9 270 might feel like one card too many, when you really look at it AMD has done a good job of placing this card in an excellent price bracket. We're not 100% sure it's a price bracket that is needed, but it's indeed a price bracket that can be taken advantage of.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 5th best selling game for 2018
- Nintendo to reveal 'Indie Highlights' games for Switch 2019
- Overwatch tease 'Lunar New Year' Chinese dynasty theme skins
- FromSoftware President wouldn't mind a Demon Souls Remaster
- Resident Evil 2 to get 'Ghost Survivors' mode after launch
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- AZZ Inc. Issues Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance; Revenue of $950 - $1,030 million and Earnings per Share of $2.25 - $2.75
- The mobile communication antenna market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2023
- Tractica and ConnecTechAsia Team Up with Knowledge Partnership
- ODEM Applauds Blockchain Centre Vilnius on Its First Anniversary
- Dale North Kicks Off PERFECT SELECTION Compilation Series