Having not previously touched a D-Link wireless router after the purchase of my 857 802.11n unit a few years back, I was quite surprised at the complete redesign of the "cloud routers". Though, it's not entirely a bad design, it does go away from the typical square form factor we are used to. Whatever the case, I do enjoy the new design as it welcomes the modern art movement into your living space as a functional device.
Performance of the router was a mixed bag. With the 2.4GHz band, we had a great connection with locations 1 through 3, but things took a turn for the worse when we moved outside that 20 foot bubble to location four. The 5GHz band again was exceptional even connecting at 1.3 Gbps in our initial testing, but moving outside the reach of 5GHz, connection rates fell down to a measly 20 - 30 Mbps. Even with that, the D-Link was hands down the best router for connecting to your network from above, on a second floor.
Management features have increased by a fair bit since I last touched a D-Link web UI. Here we have new "cloud" features like myDLINK and SharePort. With SharePort, you can access all your videos, music and photos on the go by connecting a USB storage solution to your router.
Market pricing of the D-Link 868L has the unit at $159.99. Comparable routers in this segment are the Linksys EA6700 at $179.99, the Netgear R6300 at $179.99 and the Buffalo AirStation Extreme 1750 at $139.99.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [D-Link DIR-868L Router]
- Page 3 [Router Setup and Management Interface]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Wired Throughput]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Wireless Throughput]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Wireless Range]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Link Speed By Location and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series