Drive Acoustics and Power Consumption
Drive acoustics is something that can be a very important metric when purchasing a drive. As such, we purchased and built a 12 x 12 x 12 box out of 2" thick insulating foam. In the center of the box, we place the drive on 3" acoustic foam. Sound level measurements are taken from a distance of 6 inches.
Looking at the chart above, we find all drives maintaining a steady and consistent noise level throughout testing. At its peak, the WD Black tops the charts just over 40dBa.
Our custom power testing samples each drive for a period of three minutes across each workload. In order to offer more granularity we sample the power in one-second intervals. 4K random read/write carries the least amount of power consumption for the WD Black, here we see the drive move from a touch over 9 watts down to 8.5 watts at the end of the workload. Peak power consumption comes during sequential read operations as the drive jumps to 10watts.
Idle power consumption for the WD Black hangs around at 8.1 to 8.3 watts, and after entering standby down to just 1 watt.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Over 322,000 cheaters have been caught in Battlegrounds
- BIOSTAR reveal their flagship RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- Logitech release the ASTRO A20 Wireless Headset
- SK politician talks PUBG success, holds golden pan
- Samsung's new 360-degree camera requires 2 x GTX 1080 Ti
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz