Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard(s): ABIT KV8-MAX3 (Supplied by Altech Computers)
Memory(s): Mushkin 2x 256MB PC4000 (Supplied by Mushkin)
Video Card(s): ATI reference Radeon 9600 XT 128MB (Supplied by ATI), GeCube Radeon 9800 XT 256MB (Supplied by GeCube and Kingmax Australia) and Power Color Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (Supplied by Altech Computers))
Hard Disk(s): Maxtor 80GB SATA (Supplied by Altech Computers)
Operating System Used: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers Used: ATI Catalyst 3.8 (no OVERDRIVE) and VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 4.49
We've put the brand new Radeon 9600 XT up against the new high-end Radeon 9800 XT and the older Radeon 9800 Pro each with 256MB of memory onboard. We used ATI Catalyst 3.8 drivers which do not feature the automatic overclocking OVERDRIVE feature. When using Catalyst 3.9 drivers and above with this feature enabled, you will generate slightly higher performance in certain instances.
All settings in the ATI control panel were left as default apart from V-SYNC being disabled. All cards had Fast Writes enabled with under AGP 8x operations. AA and AF settings were not enabled for any benchmarks.
Let's get started!
3DMark2001 SE is a part of the popular 3DMark series. By combining DirectX 8.1 support with completely new graphics (including the GeForce4), it continues to provide benchmark results that empower you to make informed hardware assessments.
In the first of our benchmarks we can see that the 9800 cards have a fair lead over the 9600 XT by around 21%. Considering these cards retail for around $575 US ($800 AU) and the 9600 XT will retail for only around $250 US ($350 AU), the benefits are clear - Less than half the price but not half the performance!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 3 [Features]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 4 [Features Continued]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 5 [Image Quality Testing]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark 2001SE]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Radeon 9600 XT - Page 11 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Snoop Dogg receives first copy of Spyro Reignited via drone
- First live action Pokemon Detective Pikachu trailer released
- NES Controller pre-order available for Switch Online members
- PlayStation's Black Friday Sale: $199 = 1TB PS4 + Spider-Man
- New Jump Force fighters: SSGSS Vegeta/Goku & Golden Frieza
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- OLM to PST Converter
- Asustor AS6302T 2-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms