PNY Prevail 240GB SSD
The Prevail packaging isn't much different than the Prevail Elite we tested a few months back. The front covers a number of features and the warranty.
The back of the box covers the specifications and gives more details on the warranty. On the bottom left of the box PNY gives a web address for ordering accessory packages for notebooks and desktops.
The drive is packaged well with foam on all sides.
As we mentioned, the accessory package is pretty slim, you only get a SATA cable.
Here we get our first look at the PNY Prevail 240GB.
There isn't anything particularly exciting about the outside of the drive. It is a full size 9.5mm z-height SSD so some Ultrabooks are not compatible.
The Prevail Series uses LSI SandForce SF-2281 controllers. PNY placed a thermal pad on the FPU so heat will transfer to the case instead of just going back into the copper PCB and carried to the flash.
The Prevail is a basic LSI SandForce SF-2281 design. It doesn't use super caps or a DRAM buffer. It's a mature yet solid design that gets the job done.
The other side of the drive exposes the NAND flash array. There are 16 packages total, with two die per package.
PNY has converted over to the new B02 stepping of the SF-2281, a lower power 2281 FPU.
The flash on our Prevail sample is the same Intel chose for the 520 Series and Kingston chose for the original HyperX SSD. This is without a doubt Intel 5K P/E cycle synchronous NAND.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [PNY Prevail 240GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]