Budget power supplies are usually very simplistic in the cable layout. The PowerX 550W has a little less of a traditional approach and features some cables mixed with different peripheral cables. This is nice to see as when you're building on a budget, you generally don't have a lot of peripherals and with this cable layout it is plausible that you could get away with a single peripheral cable and hide the others to keep things tidy inside the case.
The Cougar PowerX 550W features dual 12V rails. 12V1 is responsible for the Main, PCI-E and all peripheral cables, while 12V2 is responsible for nothing more than the ATX 4+4 cable. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to devote a full 22A to the auxiliary power connector, while throwing everything else on a rail that is only capable of 336W of power.
A Look Inside
There isn't too much going on inside the PowerX 550W power supply, but that's to be expected with a budget unit. There is plenty of passive cooling going and it looks like Cougar could have gone with a shorter enclosure if they really wanted to as the PCB is much shorter than the enclosure.
A single Panasonic capacitor sits on the primary side of the power supply.
Teapo capacitors litter the secondary side of the power supply.
Cougar uses their own DFT122512M 120mm fan to provide the active cooling for the PowerX 550W power supply.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Monster Hunter World devs have no plans for Nintendo Switch
- God of War confirmed release date and new story trailer
- AMD appoints fresh blood to Radeon team
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top