We've got a bunch of Z87 boards in our graphs today. One of the main things we want to know is how the H87 performs against the Z87 chipset from an out of the box performance perspective. Saying that we've got the recently looked at Super Micro C7Z87-OCE, alongside the ASRock Z87 OC Formula and GIGABTYE Z87X-OC.
Along with these boards we've also got the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming and GIGABYTE X79S-UP5-WIFI for comparison.
One of the biggest differences between the H87 and Z87 chipset is that officially the H87 doesn't really offer anything in terms of overclocking abilities. Generally speaking, you should only be able to adjust the BCLK of the CPU. Since the introduction of the chipset, though, we have seen companies figure out a way to bring multiplier overclocking to the table.
We adjusted the voltage and then proceeded to adjust the multiplier to 49x, which tends to be the limit of this CPU. We got into Windows with no problem and then proceeded to do a MediaEspresso encode. Completing with no issue, we knew that we had pretty much found the overclock we would achieve today.
Nonetheless, we did head back into the BIOS to see if we could get anything more out of the setup, but as we expected, we didn't have any luck. With everything up and running, we finally finished off with a 4898.51MHz overclock or 4.9GHz as illustrated in our graphs today.
Saying all this, though, it's important to remember that the multiplier overclocking ability is something that Intel are working on removing as it does hamper the reason to buy a Z series chipset a little, especially when using just one video card. Do keep in mind that these levels of overclockability may not always be attainable in the future.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media