Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are equal to that of the Fractal Design Tesla R2 1000W power supply, we can test it to the maximum.
The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V rail, we see 2% regulation from start to finish with a total drop of .19V. The 5V rail managed to stay within 1% of specification with a total drop of .06V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was within 3% of specification with a total voltage drop of .11V.
DC Output quality for the Fractal Design Tesla R2 1000W was good and well within specifications. During Test 1, we saw 18mV of noise on our scope. When we increased the loads in Test 3, the ripple climbed to 31mV at around half load. During Test 6 under a load of 1000W, the oscilloscope showed a maximum of 51mV on noise on the 12V rail.
The Fractal Design Tesla R2 1000W is rated for 80 PLUS Gold efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 87%/89%/87% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the Tesla R2 1000W passed on our bench, and wasn't close to failing at any point.
On the surface, the Tesla R2 seems just like any other power supply on the market. Our 1000W unit didn't seem to offer much over the competition, other than a bit of style. Sometimes that is okay, as it can be exactly what the consumer is looking for to set their rig apart from the rest. As we dug into the Tesla R2 a bit more, it was clear that it wasn't simply just another unit on the shelf.
This is most apparent when looking at the performance results of the Tesla R2 1000W. Voltage regulation was fantastic for a budget unit and voltages were just as tight as some more the more expensive units on the market. We expected there to be a little bit more noise on the 12V rail as the unit features 100% Teapo capacitors, but it held up well, coming in at just over 50mV at full load. The efficiency was great too as it wasn't skirting the line at all.
What you do take a hit on are some of the features and so long as you are aware of them, they aren't really a drawback at all. The lack of Over-Temperature Protection and a 100% continuous output at 50C rating can be easily overcome so long as you make sure that there is plenty of ventilation inside your case. What you can't overcome is the short warranty and the lack of an EPS12V cable, if you're in need of it.
Even so, there is only so much that you can ask for out of a budget unit and having 1000W available to you for about $175 shipped certainly helps cover what the unit is missing and the Tesla R2 1000W is sure to become a favored unit for those needing lots of power on a budget.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gears of War 4 to release Halloween Event and Update
- Star Wars The Last Jedi is expected to make $760 million
- GIGABYTE reveal the AORUS X9 gaming laptop
- ASUS announce ROG Strix X370-I & B350-I motherboards
- Microsoft wants you to 'feel true power' with Xbox One X
- Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT: PCIe 3.0 that work only at 1.0 with Asus Hyper m.2 x 4 card
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard