On the whole, the 1542 card is definitely the best companion for your needs. Not only does it allow you to connect up two external drives but you also have the option of connecting two internal Serial ATA drives or two IDE drives using converters.
One thing we are not too happy on is the reduction factor. While Serial ATA is able to transfer 150MB/s, this card is limited to 133MB/s due to the UDMA-133 chipset used and the PCI bus limitations. However, this was more then enough for our drives which were simply ATA-100 IDE, since they were the only drives available to us at the time of testing. The main complaint is the startup time - It takes over 13 seconds for the BIOS to detect the drives and continue on to the OS boot - this is something which really needs to be fixed for future versions.
The enclosure is perfect in just about every way. It's light, compact and very useful in today's mobile storage age. With easy to use operations and installations, the unit is simple to use for just about anyone who needs to run mobile storage and RAID systems.
Overall Highpoint has done a great job on its first dual drive e.SATA device. Now we need one that uses Serial ATA drives rather than IDE.
Serial ATA protocol for thinner cables
Proprietary interface ports prevents third parties from producing solutions for this device
Uses ATA-133 rather than ATA-150 protocol
Rating - 8 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox will 'go big' with streaming at E3 2019
- $399 Oculus Rift S has inside-out tracking, 1440p resolution
- No, Disney won't make its own Star Wars games
- Cuphead coming to Switch with Xbox LIVE integration
- Obsidian's new Outer Worlds skips Steam
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- Seagate Game Drive PS4 2TB Review
- GA-X99-UD5 rev 1.0 power ON issue
- Asus RT-N16 - Can´t get wifi to work
- Killing Floor: Double Feature Coming May 21, 2019 to PlayStation Store and Game Retailers Near You
- Critically acclaimed retro platformer The Messenger hits PlayStation 4 today
- OMG Zombies! to invade Nintendo Switch on the 26th March!
- LEGO DC Super-Villains Releases Batman: The Animated Series Level Pack
- Super Crome: Bullet Purgatory Enters the Steam Early Access Atmosphere Today