On the whole, the 1542 card is definitely the best companion for your needs. Not only does it allow you to connect up two external drives but you also have the option of connecting two internal Serial ATA drives or two IDE drives using converters.
One thing we are not too happy on is the reduction factor. While Serial ATA is able to transfer 150MB/s, this card is limited to 133MB/s due to the UDMA-133 chipset used and the PCI bus limitations. However, this was more then enough for our drives which were simply ATA-100 IDE, since they were the only drives available to us at the time of testing. The main complaint is the startup time - It takes over 13 seconds for the BIOS to detect the drives and continue on to the OS boot - this is something which really needs to be fixed for future versions.
The enclosure is perfect in just about every way. It's light, compact and very useful in today's mobile storage age. With easy to use operations and installations, the unit is simple to use for just about anyone who needs to run mobile storage and RAID systems.
Overall Highpoint has done a great job on its first dual drive e.SATA device. Now we need one that uses Serial ATA drives rather than IDE.
Serial ATA protocol for thinner cables
Proprietary interface ports prevents third parties from producing solutions for this device
Uses ATA-133 rather than ATA-150 protocol
Rating - 8 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Uber updates app with 'Live Location' functionality
- Publishers should raise game prices, says analyst
- GIVEAWAY: OCZ TR200 3D BiCS FLASH SSDs thanks to Toshiba
- Death Stranding in playable state, progressing on schedule
- Battlefront II almost had entirely cosmetic lootboxes
- Intel 15.X series Raid Rom compatible with X99??
- Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB & 480GB AIC NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ