I have to admit, I expected much, much more from OUYA. I backed them to the tune of 2.5x the retail price, had my console delivered after it hit retail, and my Limited Edition username-etched controllers still haven't shipped yet.
When a company makes more than $8.5 million from its consumers, you'd better be damn ready to keep your original backers happy before you even begin dumping them onto retail shelves. The entire OUYA experience has been a mess from start to finish.
Sure, it's $99 - but is there even $99 of value there yet? I don't think so. The console is laggy, the controller is laughable at times, and the entire experience is hit and miss. Some people don't experience that many issues, but then there are some that experience large issues, too.
I was in the middle where some of my games worked perfectly, and some of them lagged and the input from the controller was laggy. The controller itself would have a hard time registering the press of the button, or the button would be caught on the plastic to the side of the button - annoying, to say the least.
Then there's a question that I'm sure I'll be asked in the future: would I buy an OUYA now? No. I would not. I don't fully regret my decision, because I knew what I was getting myself in for. But would I want someone else putting themselves through that? No.
I've given the OUYA console a TweakTown rating of 60%, because for $99 it's an impulse buy. "It's just $99, I could buy it and see what everyone is talking about". There are a few games that I played with my niece and nephew and had a few laughs over, but it's nothing memorable.
Give the OUYA a miss, but if $99 isn't too much for you and you want to see what all the fuss is over, or if you're a modder - then take a look. But don't say I didn't warn you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dragon Ball FighterZ last beta goes live January 23
- Monster Hunter World devs have no plans for Nintendo Switch
- God of War confirmed release date and new story trailer
- AMD appoints fresh blood to Radeon team
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- صيانة يونيفرسال سموحه 01112124913 - 0235682820 Univarsal
- صيانة الكتروستار سموحه 01112124913 - 0235682820 Electrostar
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top