4K Random Read/Write
Each QD for every parameter tested includes 300 data points (five minutes of one second reports) to illustrate the degree of performance variability. The line for each QD represents the average speed reported during the five-minute interval.
4K random speed measurements are an important metric when comparing drive performance, as the hardest type of file access for any storage solution to master is small-file random. One of the most sought-after performance specifications, 4K random performance is a heavily marketed figure.
The HGST Ultrastar 7k4000 flies high with the heavy read workloads with an average of 216 IOPS at QD256, a great start that sets the tone for the majority of our tests.
The HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 rises above in this test by averaging 211 IOPS and beating the competition. The Toshiba MG03ACA400 averages 199 IOPS in comparison to the Seagate V.6 with 205 IOPS at QD256 in our 4K write testing.
Our write percentage testing illustrates the varying performance of each solution with mixed workloads. The 100% column to the right is a pure write workload of the 4K file size, and 0% represents a pure 4K read workload.
The 7K4000 manages to beat both of the other 7,200 RPM HDDs with its mixed read/write workload performance across the board. This is stellar performance in mixed read/write workloads.
The HGST 7K4000 best the competition by providing 33,009 I/O's (53.92%) at 100-200ms, and 15,250 I/O's (24.19) in the 200-400ms range. The 7K4000 provides a mixed bag, with a higher distribution of I/O falling into the less desirable 200-400ms range than the competitors, but also a very good showing with the latency range dropping as low as 4-6ms.
We record the power consumption measurements during our test run at QD256. The HGST 7K4000 pulls a frugal 8.48 Watts during the measurement window.
IOPS to Watts measurements are generated from data recorded during our test. The HGST HDD delivers an average of 24.4 IOPS per Watt for 4K random writes, and 23 IOPS per Watt for 4K random read access.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PS5 won't launch before Fall 2020, NPD analyst predicts
- New Master Chief Collection update lets you install segments
- Sony to continue strong first-party IP focus
- Hideo Kojima teases E3 2018 showcase for Death Stranding
- Super Smash Bros. roster leak suggests Metroid's Ridley
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit