Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 Enterprise HDD Review (Page 5)

| Aug 14, 2013 at 9:02 am CDT
Rating: 92%Manufacturer: Seagate

4K Random Read/Write

VIEW GALLERY - 49 IMAGES

Each QD for every parameter tested includes 300 data points (five minutes of one second reports) to illustrate the degree of performance variability. The line for each QD represents the average speed reported during the five-minute interval.

4K random speed measurements are an important metric when comparing drive performance, as the hardest type of file access for any storage solution to master is small-file random. One of the most sought-after performance specifications, 4K random performance is a heavily marketed figure.

The Constellation ES.3 leads the pack easily with an average of 190 IOPS at QD256.

Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 Enterprise HDD Review 12 | TweakTown.com

The ES.3 falls into a slightly higher performance envelope than the competing solutions and with less variability, averaging 205 IOPS at QD256 in our 4K write testing. The Western Digital SE trails closely behind with an average of 198 IOPS.

Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 Enterprise HDD Review 13 | TweakTown.com

Our write percentage testing illustrates the varying performance of each solution with mixed workloads. The 100% column to the right is a pure write workload of the 4K file size, and 0% represents a pure 4K read workload.

The Constellation ES.3 outperforms the other HDD's in this test, and exhibits excellent speed in the read heavy percentages.

Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 Enterprise HDD Review 14 | TweakTown.com

The Constellation ES.3 edges out the other competitors with the best latency, providing 59,892 I/O's (98%) at 100-200ms, and the remaining 1219 I/O's (1.99%) in the 200-400ms range.

Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 Enterprise HDD Review 15 | TweakTown.com

We record the power consumption measurements during our test run at QD256. The Constellation ES.3 averages 8.84 Watts, well below the Toshiba offering.

Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 Enterprise HDD Review 16 | TweakTown.com
Seagate Enterprise Capacity Constellation ES.3 Enterprise HDD Review 17 | TweakTown.com

IOPS to Watts measurements are generated from data recorded during our test. The Constellation ES.3 delivers an average of 26 IOPS per Watt for 4K random writes, and 24 IOPS per Watt for 4K random read access.

Last updated: Apr 7, 2020 at 12:31 pm CDT

PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.

USUnited States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com

UKUnited Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk

AUAustralia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au

CACanada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca

DEDeutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de

ABOUT THE AUTHOR -

The quest for benchmark world records led Paul further and further down the overclocking rabbit hole. SSDs and RAID controllers were a big part of that equation, allowing him to push performance to the bleeding edge. Finding the fastest and most extreme storage solutions led to experience with a myriad of high-end enterprise devices. Soon testing SSDs and Enterprise RAID controllers at the limits of their performance became Paul's real passion, one that is carried out through writing articles and reviews.

We openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here. Please contact us if you wish to respond.

Related Tags