The need for more storage is intensifying every year. It took Seagate 29 years to ship the first billion HDD's, but less than five years later they had delivered the second billion HDDs. With the current staggering pace of 684,462 HDDs daily, it will only be a short time before they ship out their three billionth HDD.
Increases in areal density and the number of platters are helping to increase density and deliver more storage in a power conscious manner, and the T-10 compliant Power Choice technology allows users to tailor systems for optimal performance and power usage. In our power testing, the Constellation ES.3 performed very well, delivering an economical solution that held up well to newer offerings from Seagate's competition.
In performance testing, the Constellation ES.3 performed remarkably well in random workloads, especially in light of its intention for bulk storage. The ES.3 excelled in our 4K and 8K random testing, especially with random read activity. The random read speed of the Constellation ES.3 led the charts by a large margin in the majority of tests.
This excellent read speed also carried through to our workload testing, with the ES.3 dominating the charts for all workloads, with the exception of the Fileserver emulation. This great speed carries over well to the latency under heavy workloads, where the Constellation ES.3 also scored well ahead of its competitors in the majority of tests. The only weakness we observed was the speed of sequential mixed read/write workloads, where the Constellation ES.3 fell behind the other competitors.
The solid behavior in latency and speed metrics provides very consistent performance. This consistency is likely tied to the doubling of DDR2 cache over the previous generation of capacity HDDs. This extra staging area for write activity can help to smooth out performance when data is written down to the platters.
The Constellation ES.3 is available in both SAS and SATA flavors, which allows users to tailor the solution to the needs of their environment. Encryption, and the extra FIPS layer for SAS versions of the HDD, provides users with a means of securing their data. The Seagate Instant Secure Erase functionality rounds out the data security features.
With the HDD market finally returning to pre-flood price levels, pricing is again becoming competitive between the large HDD manufacturers. The Constellation ES.3 is available for a lower price than the Toshiba MGASCAxxx series of HDDs, but is priced higher than the Western Digital SE. The extra bump in speed from the ES.3 will lead many to choose it for their storage solution in demanding environments. The option for a SAS interface is also a welcome addition, and surprisingly commands only a small premium (around $10) for the enhanced functionality of the SAS interface.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo reveal Diablo III: Eternal Collection Switch bundle
- Black Ops 4 physical sales down 50% compared WWII
- Mega Man 11 only had around 40 developers in the team
- Fortnite leak showcases a soon to be released gifting system
- A re-introduction into Old School RuneScape: New/Old players
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Ryzen 1600x, temps, spikes and normal workload
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon