We get many questions about NAS appliances after we publish reviews of small business products. A majority of the questions are about price. At $499 the QNAP TS-421 isn't exactly low cost and it certainly isn't cheap. I wouldn't call the TS-421 an entry-level NAS either since it's packed with many of the same features as QNAP's more expensive parts.
That leads us to the Marvell 2.0GHz CPU at the heart of the TS-421. Clearly it isn't as strong as the Intel Atom processor, but it's fast enough to deliver high definition content to more than one location at the same time.
The Atom powered machines were built to deliver HD content while running SQL with 20+ users connected at the same time. In our single client tests, we still see some performance differences, but when it comes to equal drive bay count units, the differences aren't that great.
I'm really not sure what I'm more excited about, the TS-421 bringing good consumer performance or the new QTS 4.0 software that makes the unit easier to use. Setting up the TS-421 was very easy, the wizard walks you through the initial setup and everything after that is setup logically. Being able to get to your files and folders just by typing //name_of_nas is one of the easiest ways to increase productivity that I can think of.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Hardware Specifications and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [Packaging]
- Page 5 [QNAP TS-421]
- Page 6 [Configuration Menus]
- Page 7 [Test System Setup]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 1 HDD / JBOD]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 10]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 5]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 4 HDD / RAID 6 and Single Client Wrap-up]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media