Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Samsung has five capacity sizes in the 840 EVO family - 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 750GB and the flagship 1TB model. The 750GB sizes we're looking at in this article shares the same performance specifications with the flagship 1TB EVO.
Thanks to a new SLC-like layer built into each TLC NAND die, performance has increased since the 840, Samsung's first drive to use TLC NAND. Samsung calls this TurboWrite. The new MEX controller is also an upgrade over the 840, now with more optimizations and with a 100MHz clock speed increase. The NVELO acquisition is paying off for Samsung in the 840 EVO release as well. RAPID Mode uses your system's DRAM, up to 1GB, to cache I/O data to and from the SSD. You can find more about TurboWrite and RAPID Mode in our 840 EVO Overview article.
Samsung put together three different package kits for the 840 EVO, but the 750GB model is only available as a bare drive. Pricing comes out to $529.99 and even before the launch, some e-tailers prepared preorders. I suspect by the time you read this Tiger Direct and Newegg will have their order pages online.
The Samsung 840 EVO ships with a three year limited warranty, but we're still not clear on all of the details. The warranty policy states a TBW (Total Bytes Written) limit and leads us to two URL addresses. Even with the 840 and 840 PRO, we never managed to nail down the Total Bytes Written limit to keep the drive under warranty. To be fair, we've yet to hear of Samsung denying a warranty claim, but this is an issue that should be addressed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]