Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Samsung has five capacity sizes in the 840 EVO product family - 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 750GB and the flagship 1TB model. The 250GB size we're looking at in this article shares the same sequential read and write performance with the larger capacity size EVO products, 540MB/s read and 520MB/s write. Samsung claims 4KB random performance at 97K read and 66K write.
The 840 EVO 250GB writes data at a higher rate over the baseline 840 thanks to a new SLC-like layer built into each TLC die. Samsung calls this TurboWrite and the TurboWrite performance is figured into the claimed performance specifications. What's not included on the specification sheet is RAPID Mode. Developed by recent acquisition NVELO, RAPID Mode uses your system's DRAM, up to 1GB, to cache I/O data to and from the SSD. You can find more about TurboWrite and RAPID Mode in our 840 EVO Overview Editorial article.
Samsung put together three different package kits, but the 250GB model is the only product to ship in all three. Pricing comes out to $189.99 for the bare drive, $199.99 for the Laptop Kit and $209.99 for the Desktop Kit. The bare drive SKU costs a bit more than the lowest priced LSI SandForce SF-2281 / sync MLC drives, but lower than the Micron M500 240GB, prices courtesy of Newegg.
The Samsung 840 EVO ships with a three year limited warranty, but we're still not clear on all of the details. The warranty policy states a TBW (Total Bytes Written) limit and leads us to two URL addresses. Even with the 840 and 840 PRO, we never managed to nail down the Total Bytes Written limit to keep the drive under warranty. To be fair, we've yet to hear of Samsung denying a warranty claim, but this is an issue that should be addressed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]