Taking our first look you can see that large Twin Frozr IV cooler with two 10cm fans sitting on top, as well as a massive heat sink underneath and a bunch of heat pipes coming out behind the shroud. Being a Lightning model also means we've got a black and yellow color scheme, which is of course different to the black and red theme, which we've been seeing from the new Gaming Series.
While we don't normally bother looking at the back of video cards these days, the inclusion of the GPU Reactor on the Lightning series means that it's a bit more interesting. You can also see we've got a shroud over the entire back. This makes for a really great looking product that both looks and feels fantastic.
Normally we see the V-Check points for MSI cards at the top, but you can see here that the three points are sitting at the back. These are used to measure the voltage of the GPU, Memory and PLL directly. This is one of those features that most people probably won't use as it's aimed for hardcore overclockers who use LN2 and need to keep track of the voltage levels in these key areas at all times.
MSI has upgraded from the 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connector setup to a dual 8-pin PCIe power connector setup. Moving over to the front you can see two SLI connectors. Due to the large cooler, you can see how a normal SLI connector wouldn't work, so in the event you want to run two or three of these bad boys together, it's great knowing that a longer flexible SLI cable has been included in the bundle for you.
When it comes to the I/O, it's very standard from a connection point of view. You can see we've got two Dual-Link DVI ports - one DVI-D the other DVI-I. Along with them we've got a HDMI and DisplayPort connector. The big stand out here, though, is the gold plated connectors - something that we've seen on Lightning cards for a while now.
Like most companies, MSI has chosen to leave the 2GB of GDDR5 alone, you can see below it carries the default 7012MHz QDR clock. As for the core, though, MSI has given that a nice bump. That's moved from 1046MHz to 1150MHz. These clocks are then pushed even higher via boost with the reference card coming in at 1085MHz and the MSI one being boosted all the way up to 1202MHz.
Of course Lightning cards are all about overclocking and that's exactly what we intend to do today. You can see we managed to push the core up to 1215MHz, which is boosted even higher to a strong 1267MHz via Boost. As for the 2GB of GDDR5, that came in at 7480MHz QDR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions